HANDLING360 SKILLS DAY
WITH SUSAN GARRETT & ANDREA GUINDON
August 21, 2020
This day will be a Handling360 Skills Day, suitable for young dogs or older dogs you want to brush up on skills! To find out more about our Handling Camp happening right after, click here.
PreReqs: Teams must be working in Handling360 and dogs must be 7 months or older.
You will move daily to each of our exceptional instructors. This new formatting allows for concentrated work in small groups with well warmed up dogs and handlers / concentrated training/troubleshooting and a rest period for the dogs each day.
IMPORTANT: When registering for both "Skills day" and a "Summer camp" participant spot, your "skills" working dog must be a different dog for this day.
SPECIAL PRICING: Audit 4 Days: For those who wish to audit the H360 Skills as well as all 3 days of Summer Camp, there is a special price you can find here:
Camp Payments: New for 2020 we have a new and more convenient payment process. Full payments are required at the time of accepting your working spot. All pricing includes the HST (tax of 13%). Please also note our cancellation policy has been updated for 2020.
Waitlist: Our camps are very popular. If the camp is full at the time of your visit we strongly encourage you to put yourself on the “waiting list”. You will be notified as working spots become available.
Instructors: Susan Garrett, Andrea Guindon
Andrea transitioned from a dog training system that used intimidation as part of its methodology to Susan’s choice/game based methods. The second she was exposed, she knew she was home. The knowledge she gained from Susan’s courses allowed her to do a complete 180 in her relationship with her border collie Phoenix. The biggest challenge they overcame was getting her dog to love tugging with her.
Click Here for Pricing Information
Skills Day Participant with one dog (1 day)
Camp Participant with one dog + Skills Day Participant with one dog (4 days, 2 different dogs)
Skills Day Participant with one dog (1 day)
+ Camp Auditing (3 days)
SPECIAL PRICE: Auditing ALL 4 days (Skills Day + Camp)
Skills Day Observing (1 day)
- Our Facility
- Where To Stay
- What To Bring
Say Yes Dog Training set on 28 secluded acres. Plenty of room to run, and ponds to swim your dogs in. And with a fantastic 13,000+ sq. ft. indoor turfed agility facility.
Restaurants Close By
Feel free to pick up lunch prior as Fortinos in Ancaster opens at 8 am and has a lovely premade foods section. You are welcome to enjoy your lunch upstairs in the classroom. Please bring along your morning coffee -Tim Horton's has opened two drive-thru locations within five minutes in both directions from Say Yes! There is also a Starbucks drive-thru in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Click Here to download the restaurants PDF.
Also, plan on bringing water for yourself and your dog.
When travelling to Canada it is important to ensure your personal paperwork is in order. Details are below about crossing our Canadian international border. You also should consult your own country regarding regulations about returning to your country.
Flying: You have three options when flying to visit us:
- Hamilton International Airport (a smaller airport approx. 20 minutes from us)
- Pearson International Airport (Toronto's largest airport about 60 minutes from us)
- Buffalo International Airport (about 1 1/2 hours from us)
Consult your airline for all their regulations for arriving and departing Canada.
Driving Directions: 2780 Dunmark Road Alberton, ON L0R 1A0
Hotel Accommodations in the area are below:
Hotels are becoming increasingly difficult to find locally. PLEASE pick up after your dogs at all facilities, Remember to also bring a throw sheet for your bed (2 if it has 2 beds), clean up outside and avoid EVER leaving your dog alone in the room. (Barking complaints hurts hotels as much as doggie do-do outside).
- Comfort Inn (about 15 minutes from the camp)
Location: 58 King George Road (exit Hwy 24), Brantford, ON N3R 5K4
Tel: (800) 2285150; (519) 753-3100
On the web: Comfort Inn Brantford
Description: A clean, modern facility; pancake house next door, lots of restaurants around. 2020 the facility now has a pet fee.
- Serenity Ranch Bed & Breakfast (about 3 minutes down the road)
Location: 2171 Wilson Street West, (Hwy 2), Jerseyville, Ontario
Toll-free number: 1-800-659-3714
On the web: Serenity Ranch Bed & Breakfast
Description: Beautiful country location 3 minutes from Say Yes; private rooms (with your own bathroom) with free wifi, satellite TV, free long distance anywhere in North America. Trip Advisor ~ Travellers' Choice Award 2014. Speak to Shane and share you are coming to a Say Yes Summer camp with a well-behaved canine. There have been some changes to his requirements so best to call and chat with him directly. Ask for the Say Yes student rate at the time of booking.
- Camping (Hydro and water hookups available):
Say Yes Dog Training: We welcome a LIMITED number of RV camping sites. These sites are Dry Camping Only. Our facility does not have water (we are on a well), dumping (we are on a watershed) or electrical hookups for RV's. We wish to share our space with everyone but must limit the numbers due to parking availability. Two other pieces of information we need to share about camping here on site. We request you have with you an RV Generator exhaust extension to vent up exhaust up. These are available at all RV stores. We also ask for a generator quiet time between 11 pm and 7 am for quiet sleeping times. Our summer generally offers cooler temperatures in the evening. Email [email protected] to check availability. A minimum of 14-day notice is requested to guarantee a spot. The fee is $20.00 per night payable on the day of registration.
Grand River Conservation (exit # 403 at Rest Acres Road) 20 minutes from camp
119 Jennings Road Rte 4, Brantford, ON N3T 5L7
Tel: (519) 752-2040
Walmart is located on Highway #2, just 5 minutes away from Say Yes. They are normally "RV friendly".
Below is information on what to bring to ensure you have a pleasant camp experience.
A Crate: Depending on the workshop, a hard-sided crate, as well as a soft-sided crate, could be beneficial (if you have room!). Dogs must be under control and not wandering while instructors are lecturing. Please respect this for your dog’s safety and the safety of others.
Collar: Either a flat buckle collar, a martingale type (Premier) or a head halter. Please leave your choke collars, pinch collars or electric collars at home.
Leashes: Just your standard 4-fooT, a 6-foot if you have one.
Toys: Please bring toys appropriate for tugging and those small enough to stay hidden on your body while working.
Our TURF: The desire is to keep our turf pristine for all to enjoy for a LONG time, so we are asking you pack accordingly for the upcoming workshop.
- Indoor Shoes: Please bring an extra pair of indoor shoes to use exclusively on the turf (you will possibly need boots for outside).
- Chairs: We request you to bring a chair with front to back tubing style legs. This style of chair disperses weight across the front and back (or two sides) of the chair vs four peg legs that may pierce and damage the turf.
- Dog Treats: Only dry, non-crumbly treats will be allowed on the turf area. (Just to be clear: no cheese, sticky or oily crumbly treats will be allowed on the turf.) The best idea is to bring a "doggie trail mix." That means that we suggest that you try to bring a mixture of different treats. Bring a lot!
- Towel: Please bring a towel to dry your dog’s paws off before running on the turf. It is our experience that it is best to dry your dog’s paws off before working the dogs on the turf if they have been outside.
- Tarp: We would appreciate a waterproof mat under your crates when crated on the turf. If previously used on dirt or grass surfaces, please take the time to be sure it is clean before using it on the turf.
- Human Food and Drink: No food or drinks (other than water) be allowed on the turf.
- Accidents: We ask that you be extra diligent about pottying your dogs before working on the turf. Accidents need to be dealt with immediately, so please do not hesitate to share if your dog has had an accident. Mark the spot so we can find it easily. Cleaning up on the turf is extremely time-consuming, and we do not wish to take up training time for “clean up”.
We appreciate you helping us maintain our beautiful new turf!
Winter Weather Workshops
In winter, we have a lot of snow on our grounds, so please do not walk anywhere to the right side of the driveway. At any time of year, if you choose to walk your dogs around the property, you’ll likely need boots, as well as a pair of shoes to come into the lecture/school area and a towel for wiping snowy/muddy paws.
You are welcome to videotape your own dog's working sessions. For copyright reasons, we have had to discontinue the practice of allowing taping of the lectures and other dogs.
Our camps are popular and we want to give everyone the opportunity and appropriate time to plan and attend. All camps are now paid in full and we have a new cancellation policy without exceptions.
Cancelling your participant/auditing registration:
Your cancellation must be submitted in writing to [email protected]
- Cancellations made between registration payment and 15 days prior to the event date: Where there is not a seminar waitlist, or the open spot cannot be filled by the team with a participant meeting prerequisites, cancellation will forfeit full fees.
Note: If the spot can be filled by our team, you will receive a partial refund of 50% the full amount paid (minus an administration fee*).
*Non Refundable Administration Fees: Participant $100.00 / Auditor $50.00.
- Cancellations made on the day of or less than 14 days forfeit full fees.
Selling Spots: No participant may give or sell their spot in the seminar to another person without written approval of the new participant from the camp administrator.
Cancellation Monies: Refund payments will be issued after the camp event date. This allows the team to assist in filling your spot. Refunds will be issued in the same manner payment was made. Transfer fees / international fees will be at the expense of the participant cancelling.
Insufficient Funds/Bank Fees: For day of events where cheques are accepted. A returned cheque for insufficient funds there will be a charge of $40.00 US/CAN.
If you have any questions regarding our policy please contact us at [email protected] for clarification.