How do you pick a puppy? Even if you are not selecting a puppy, a lot of these concepts apply to a rescue dog. I’ve just raised a litter of puppies, and one will stay with me as my next dog, so I’m covering my tips, plus how my puppy chose me!
In the episode you'll hear:
- How our rescue dog Tater feels about living in a family of Border Collies.
- The considerations about what sort of dog is best for you.
- How Tina the Poodle came into our family when I was a kid.
- Why to set an intention about your next dog.
- The three areas I look at when picking my puppy.
- What to consider about structure and temperament.
- What you need to know about puppies and temperament tests.
- About what your heart tells you and why I’m big on the woo.
- Why to trust the breeder of your puppy if you have done your research.
- The reason to not second guess yourself.
- About the adventures that led me to my new puppy.
- Who my next dog is and her name!
Spoiler Alert Puppy Names:
Moira Rose - Say Yes to Inspired Moments - Dream
Alexis - Say Yes to Playing for the Moment - Swish
David - Say Yes to Making the Moments Count - Mission
Stevie - Say Yes to Being in the Moment - This!
- Podcast Episode 13: Naming Your Puppy or Dog
- * Book: What's Your Angle: Understanding Angulation and Structure for the Performance Dog by Hellen Grinnell King
- * Book: Picking your Performance Puppy by Helen Grinnell King
- Avidog Website (Search for the word Temperament)
- Book: The Resilience Project: Finding Happiness Through Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness by Hugh van Cuylenburg
- "This Is Me" by The Greatest Showman Cast from 'The Greatest Showman Soundtrack' (YouTube)
* Amazon Links Disclosure: Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!