We’re talking about trick training for dogs; it’s fun and easy! Can you remember the very first thing you trained a dog to do and how you went about training it? The first thing I trained a dog to do was to dance. It was when I was a kid with our family dog, Tina the Poodle. Training tricks with our dogs is something I consider important, and there are three favourite tricks that I think all dogs should learn.
In the episode you'll hear:
- About our feelings when we are training tricks.
- What I noticed about my Border Collie, Stoni, in the Obedience Ring.
- Why everything can be a trick to bring joy to us and our dogs.
- My progression as a dog trainer and transitioning to shaping behaviors.
- How trick training provides a model for clarity for our dogs.
- Why trick training teaches our dogs never to give up.
- About the elements of strength, flexibility and proprioception when choosing tricks.
- How to train your dog to hand target.
- About the ways to shape your dog to pivot on a perch.
- The steps for training your dog to wave.
- Home School the Dog
- Video: Target Training for Dogs Part One - All About Targets
- Video: Target Training for Dogs Part Two - Step by Step Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 62: 12 Keys to Helping My Dogs Live a Long and Happy Life
- Game: Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice (IYC)
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 22: The Invisible Bubble of Pressure and Your Dog
- *Cato Board: Receive 10% off with the use of this link. Coupon Code: DOGSTHAT10
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Link Disclosure: Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!