We’re talking about trick training for dogs; it’s fun and easy! Can you remember the very first thing you trained a dog to do and how you went about training it? The first thing I trained a dog to do was to dance. It was when I was a kid with our family dog, Tina the Poodle. Training tricks with our dogs is something I consider important, and there are three favourite tricks that I think all dogs should learn.
In the episode you'll hear:
- About our feelings when we are training tricks.
- What I noticed about my Border Collie, Stoni, in the Obedience Ring.
- Why everything can be a trick to bring joy to us and our dogs.
- My progression as a dog trainer and transitioning to shaping behaviors.
- How trick training provides a model for clarity for our dogs.
- Why trick training teaches our dogs never to give up.
- About the elements of strength, flexibility and proprioception when choosing tricks.
- How to train your dog to hand target.
- About the ways to shape your dog to pivot on a perch.
- The steps for training your dog to wave.
- Home School the Dog
- Video: Target Training for Dogs Part One - All About Targets
- Video: Target Training for Dogs Part Two - Step by Step Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 62: 12 Keys to Helping My Dogs Live a Long and Happy Life
- Game: Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice (IYC)
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 22: The Invisible Bubble of Pressure and Your Dog
- *Cato Board: Receive 10% off with the use of this link. Coupon Code: DOGSTHAT10
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.