We’re talking about trick training for dogs; it’s fun and easy! Can you remember the very first thing you trained a dog to do and how you went about training it? The first thing I trained a dog to do was to dance. It was when I was a kid with our family dog, Tina the Poodle. Training tricks with our dogs is something I consider important, and there are three favourite tricks that I think all dogs should learn.
In the episode you'll hear:
- About our feelings when we are training tricks.
- What I noticed about my Border Collie, Stoni, in the Obedience Ring.
- Why everything can be a trick to bring joy to us and our dogs.
- My progression as a dog trainer and transitioning to shaping behaviors.
- How trick training provides a model for clarity for our dogs.
- Why trick training teaches our dogs never to give up.
- About the elements of strength, flexibility and proprioception when choosing tricks.
- How to train your dog to hand target.
- About the ways to shape your dog to pivot on a perch.
- The steps for training your dog to wave.
- Home School the Dog
- Video: Target Training for Dogs Part One - All About Targets
- Video: Target Training for Dogs Part Two - Step by Step Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 62: 12 Keys to Helping My Dogs Live a Long and Happy Life
- Game: Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice (IYC)
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 22: The Invisible Bubble of Pressure and Your Dog
- *Cato Board: Receive 10% off with the use of this link. Coupon Code: DOGSTHAT10
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve done some target work with my pup and he’s getting really solid about nose touching…but if I want a paw touch instead (if I want to encourage a wave) how do I encourage him to touch with a paw rather than his nose? Right now I’m getting lots of enthusiastic nose touches, multiples but the paw isn’t coming anywhere near the target (fly swat)!
I would love. Tutorial on perch work ! Thanx for all of your great work and suggestions.
Hi Arlene, here’s the Perch Work video:
Would love a video on perch work
I was having a problem learning Hand Targets in Home School the Dog. This podcast is brilliant, it gave me the pre-training that I was missing. Thank you soooo much!
Yes, would love a video on perch work. Great stuff…thank you!
I would love videos of these tricks. Thank you!!
Have done some Perch work would love a video on how you do it!
Would love a video of the tricks
What verbal cue to you eventually use the Paw Wave? What does your hand cue end up being without the flyswatter?
Susan I appreciate your podcasts and training games. i am excited to work on Perch work. I have an 8 yr old dog and any flexibility training is fantastic.
I love the idea of teaching fun tricks that are also useful for building strength and balance. We definitely need help with perch so would love to see more on that. Going to search for a fly swatter now to train wave on the other side. Thanks Susan, I always get so much out of these podcasts!🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
Would love a video on perch work.