We all want our dogs to have long and happy lives. There are 12 things I believe have a massive influence on the longevity and quality of life for my dogs, and 6 things I avoid. In this episode, I’m sharing what I’ve learned through trial and error, talking to experts, and from science, that can contribute to an increased life expectancy for our dogs.
In the episode you'll hear:
- About telomeres and what that means for our dogs and us.
- What I’ve learned from my senior dogs.
- How stress impacts on the life of our dog.
- 12 key factors that I believe contribute a long and happy life.
- Why exercise is important for dogs.
- What I feed my dogs and the supplements I consider important.
- About looking after our dog’s teeth and nails and cooperative care.
- Why mental engagement is so vital for our dogs.
- The reasons our older dogs need to feel special.
- About having a great relationship with your Veterinarian.
- How I make my home mobility friendly for my older dogs.
- The stress relieving activities that are good for seniors.
- What I avoid to give my dogs the best chance at a long life.
- *Book: The Telomere Effect: A Revolutionary Approach to Living Younger, Healthier, Longer by Elizabeth Blackburn - (Click Here for alternate link for Australia and UK)
- Cell Reports: Telomere Length Correlates with Life Span of Dog Breeds (Laura J. Fick, Gordon H. Fick, Zichen Li, Eric Cao, Bo Bao, Doug Heffelfinger, Heidi G. Parker, Elaine A. Ostrander, Karl Riabowol)
- Podcast Episode 61: Lessons of Recovery: The Night My Dog Almost Died
- Vlog Post: Important Whys and Hows of Exercising Our Dogs
- Dr Mercola Pet Supplements
- 1-TDC Supplement
- Vlog Post: Cutting Your Dog’s Nails: How Important Is It Really?
- *Casfuy Dog Nail Grinder with LED Light - (Click Here for alternate link for UK)
- *Dremel Lite 7760 N/10 4V
- *Groomer's Best Friend Diamond Rotary Nail Grinder Bit
- Blog Post: Rolling out a Big Adventure
- *Dirty Dog Doormats
- *Instant Vortex 4-in-1 Air Fryer
- *Instant Vortex Pro 9-in-1 Air Fryer
- Help 'Em Up® Harness
- Underdog Dog Beds
- *Basis Pet Stainless Steel Bowls - (Click Here for alternate link for UK)
- Podcast Episode 25: Why All Dogs Can Bite and How to Reduce the Risk with R.E.A.D.
- Podcast Episode 14: Creating Intentional Multi-Dog Household Harmony
- Podcast Episode 107: Pedicure Please: 3 Steps To Dog Nail Trimming Or Grooming Success At Home!
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!
Do you have a podcast on how to help dogs who are not getting along learn to get along. What can I do to help the situation? I worry about the stress it is putting on my older dog. One is 10 and the new puppy is about 1 year. The puppy is super confident and just wants to play. The older dog is not a player anymore.
Please advise me of which kibbles are the healthiest (best) for my doberman pinscher.
Wow I love listening to Susan. I shall have to listen to that one another 100 times, to absorb it into our lifestyle. Already do quite a few but so much more to take on. You are so encouraging. Love it.♥️♥️♥️♥️
Our Help ‘Em Up Harness has helped three of our 100lb+ dogs now – by far one of the best purchases ever!
As a former Recaller, Agility Nation and H360 member, you’d think I’d be brilliant by now!! I have a specific question about 1TDC and IP-6. My 5 yo agility pup, Mia, was just diagnosed with Spondylosis. I’m definitely going to put her on 1TDC while I figure out what this means for continuing to do agility. Do you also use IP-6? It’s hard to know if there’s too much overlap with 1TDC or if it’s complementary and should be used in addition.
Thanks for all you do for our dogs and their humans. Your optimism and energy is contagious!
My dog just went through an episode of throwing up bile. She is fine now, but the vet said it could have been food related, or due to stress or maybe something she ate which she shouldn’t have. Because she is not just turned outside alone, I doubt she found some dubious edible. A podcast on diet and nutrition would be most helpful!
My habit is to watch this on YouTube and come over here to review the transcripts and download. I appreciate the product recommendations, because it can be very hard to sort out for yourself what is a good product and what is one that is over hyped. You mentioned vitamins for your dogs, and I would be interested in knowing what brand you give them. I’m also interested in more on nutrition. Very good podcast which points out areas for improvement even though I’m doing many things right. Thank you again 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
Thank you for many good ideas. Please absolutely do a podcast on dogs’ nutrition. I still hesitate to switch to raw/barf. I don’t trust the quality of meat which is not bio. Vegetarian myself.