Trying to cut a dog’s nails can be one of the most difficult jobs for many dog owners. When I asked who was interested in the topic of consent in dog training for nail trimming on my last podcast episode, there were many comments from people wanting help. So, we’re going through the steps to help everyone clip their dog’s toenails so that all dogs can enjoy a pedicure.
In the episode you'll hear:
- The 5 categories of feelings dogs can have about nail trimming, from terrified through to love.
- About the importance of trimmed nails for our dog’s health and longevity.
- What my friend Dr. Leslie Woodcock shared about toenails and posture, and wellbeing for geriatric dogs.
- How I used to cut nails and what my dog Twister experienced.
- Why I developed Your Dog’s Pedicure Please Program.
- The three stages of cutting your dog’s nails: CER, Game On, and Trimming.
- About creating a positive conditioned emotional response for clipping nails.
- How to condition positive emotions to the sight and sound of nail clippers, Dremel or another pet
- Why you want a “game on” position and “game off” indicator so your dog shows you consent.
- How to keep your dog’s nails short while you are working on them saying “yes!” to a pedicure.
- Get Your Dog's Pedicure Please Program
- Podcast Episode 106: Consent In Dog Training: The Misuse, Misunderstanding And Misapplication
- Video Blog with Dr. Leslie Woodcock: Cutting Your Dog’s Nails: How Important Is It Really?
- Susan's Favorite Dremel and Nail Clipping Equipment
- Susan on Instagram
- YouTube Video: Target Stick Training Part One
- YouTube Video: Target Stick Training Part Two
- Learn the ItsYerChoice Game
- Video Blog: Help! My Dog Hates His Nails Cut … What Do I Do?
- Video Blog: Proactive Conditioning for Dog Nail Trimming Success
- Video Blog: This! One is About Conditioning the Dremel for Puppy Nails
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
MQI, does the purchase of this program include lifetime access, or do we only have it for a limited time?
all the info is here https://dogsthat.com/product/pedicure-please/
Looking for the link for the Dremel you recommended.
Hi Barb, you can find it here, with all of Susan’s favourites: https://dogsthat.com/favs/#tve-jump-17b7f042a43
Love this, thanks Susan !