The idea of getting consent to train your dog is growing in popularity for a good reason. It is something I have been doing for many years. But consent is also misused, misunderstood, and misapplied, which can cause massive setbacks for dogs and their owners. So, what is consent really, and how does it benefit our dogs?
In the episode you'll hear:
- Where consent in animal training comes from and why cooperative care is important.
- About the “game on” position that I use in my training.
- The two categories of consent: general dog training and husbandry for health.
- How my dogs show me I have their expressed consent.
- What implied consent is and how dogs show you permission.
- How our dog’s T.E.M.P. indicates their implied consent.
- The category of substituted consent and what that means for our dog’s safety.
- What manufactured consent is and why I don’t use it.
- The reasons why a dog might say “no, thank you!”.
- Why to pay attention to your dog’s emotions, eustress, and physical discomfort.
- Where things go wrong when a dog says “no”.
- Why we want to grow our dog’s comfort zone.
- The importance of D.A.S.H. in dog training.
- What to do when your dog says no and why we want to turn that to yes
- Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 40: Using A Head Halter On A Dog, Why My Approach Is So Different
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- Podcast Episode 57: Why Balance Breaks Fast Track Your Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 86: How to Train Unmotivated or Overexcited Dogs
- Podcast Episode 79: Reduce Anxiety and Grow Your Dog’s Confidence with These Pro Dog Training Tips
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for the Dog who Chases Chipmunks, Bicycles, and the Neighbor’s Cat
- Podcast Episode 103: Excited Or Suspicious Dog? Dealing With Your Dog’s Emotions
- Podcast Episode 75: Stop Motion Sickness: Helping Your Puppy or Dog Love the Car
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
Love love love your podcasts. I listen to them on the way to work. They relax me. I listen throughout the day to be a kinder dog owner. I recommend you all the time and actually talk about what I learn to my clients who have substance use disorders. Thank you for great insights into dog and people behavior.