I use a simple dog training rule with all my dogs and teach that same rule to my students. The rule is easy to implement and will exponentially improve your dog training success, help your dog learn faster and grow your dog’s confidence. It has everything to do with the rate of reinforcement and how to reward your dog to build good behavior. Only 2 in 30 people follow this rule, but we can get that number much higher after this episode!
In the episode you'll hear:
- About the data I collected around success habits in dog training.
- How dogs respond if the dog training is confusing for them.
- The ratio of 2 of 30 people who create success with mindfulness.
- Why to reduce the use of non-reward markers in dog training.
- The reason to interrupt your dog when they get something right!
- Why to believe your dog when they answer your dog training questions.
- How to reward your dog in a behavior chain using fetch as an example.
- An example of being 2 of 30 when you are training in dog agility.
- Why a high rate of reinforcement increases your dog’s success and confidence.
- How to ask your dog training questions and take action on the answers.
- About Screw Up Cookies for dog training and why to use them.
- How and when to reward your dog for what you love.
- Podcast Episode 64: Help! How Can I Tell My Dog He’s Wrong?
- Blog Post: Distraction Work in Dog Training: A Conversation Between Friends
- Podcast Episode 126: How Dog Training Goes Better When You Begin With The End In Mind
- Podcast Episode 136: Help Your Excited Dog Calm Down And Stop Barking, Lunging, Spinning, Nipping
- Blog Post: Screw Up Cookies (Your Dog’s Plan B)
- Podcast Episode 2: Reinforcement
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
I love that you spell it out so well. I love to revisit these GEMS from time to time to reaffirm my thinking about my relationship with my dog. It has taken YEARS to get me away from “AUUGH-AUUGH.” I have been (A-A) free for more than 3 years now and am so happy with what I can do with my dogs.
I got here from going from Agility-Nation, then wandered into A-N’s Facebook Page THEN hit on a Podcast List! ~ Clickable Links 4You.
JOY RAMOS·FRIDAY, JANUARY 22, 2021
I hope that is OK. I am also proud to say that I can limit my screen time and spend more time team building with my Best Dog EVER! We are having a lot of fun!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!