There are two types of dogs when it comes to water and going for a swim. Some dogs LOVE water and swimming, and others don’t want anything to do with it. How we teach swimming applies to both kinds of dogs and is different from what you might see others do. Dogs who naturally love to swim can be a challenge, as can dogs who hate water. Help is at hand with my 5 steps for water success for both types of dogs.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why a dog loving water and swimming can be problematic for you and your dog.
- The reason control is essential for swimming and your dog’s safety.
- How helping your dog like water is helping them be comfortable with life skills.
- That the chance to go for a swim can be a high value reinforcer to use to your advantage.
- Why I like my dogs to actually be swim when they are in the water.
- Reasons some dogs don’t like going in the water, including being “John Wayned” aka flooded.
- How you can easily start with an empty kiddie pool for both types of dogs.
- The steps to put going into the water on stimulus control for your dog.
- How your dog knowing sit, down and spin helps with water and swimming.
- The breakdown of all the elements for water loving or water hating dogs.
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett Riffs on Transfer of Value in Dog Training (and water loving Labradors)
- YouTube Playlist: Cooperative Care and Consent in Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Reinforcement, Permissions and Transfer of Value in Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett's Target Stick Training for Dogs Part One
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett's Target Stick Training Part Two - Step by Step Plan
- Podcast Episode 157: Dog Body Language: Understanding Canine Communication Signals And Emotions
- Dog Life Jacket: Salus Skippy Dog Vest
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube