If someone says to you that they are a reinforcement-based dog trainer, what does that really mean? There are a lot of ways of training dogs with food or toys. Even though they fall under the reinforcement grouping, the different types of training are all dramatically different. We’re covering what I tried in the past, what I suggest you avoid, and the most effective way to shape your dog.
In the episode you'll hear:
- About training dogs by luring and using food or toys as a lure.
- What's termed observational learning or social learning, or sometimes modelling.
- About Stella the Kelpie and Bunny the Sheepadoodle using buttons to communicate.
- Some of the words that dogs understand and words that excite my dogs.
- What capturing behavior means and how to get a captured behavior like a stretch or talking.
- About shaping, and the critical difference between two styles used to shape a behavior.
- The reason I don't free shape these days and prefer layered shaping.
- How to make the correct choice for the dog the obvious choice.
- Why splitting behaviors down creates confidence for dogs and give you a strong foundation.
- Podcast Episode 94: How the Best Professional Dog Trainers Use Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 2: Reinforcement
- Stella the Kelpie (Instagram)
- Bunny the Sheepadoodle (Instagram)
- Podcast Episode 5: What is Shaping And How Can Dogs Shape Us
- Blog with Video: Positive Dog Training and the Difference in Shaping
- Podcast Episode 167: Reduce Your Dog’s Stress And Anxiety In Training
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube