Inadvertent stress is something we want to minimize when training our dogs, as excessive stress has the same impact on dogs as it does on us. Now, stress is everywhere, but we don’t want to create it unintentionally and don’t want our dogs to endure anxiety if we can avoid it. We’re looking at how we can set up our training to prevent our dogs from stressing out.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How dogs can stress low or high and what that stress looks like.
- That our human mechanics can reduce anxiety for dogs.
- About practicing without your dog and how that will help minimize stress.
- Why videoing will improve your training sessions and help your dog.
- How I set up my training area and include stations.
- That transitions are the gaps between the training, and we want them seamless.
- What an efficient training session is and how to minimize your dog's repetitions.
- About the importance of using Balance Breaks in your training sessions.
- An answer to a listener's question about using food when training heeling.
- Podcast Episode 86: How to Train Unmotivated or Overexcited Dogs
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- Podcast Episode 157: Dog Body Language: Understanding Canine Communication Signals And Emotions
- Podcast Episode 110: Is Your Over-Aroused Dog Just Over-Faced In Training?
- Podcast Episode 131: How Would Susan Garrett Plan Your Dog Training Sessions?
- Podcast Episode 125: Why Isn’t My Dog Learning What I’m Training?
- Podcast Episode 31: 5 Simple Hacks to Help Your Dog Learn Faster (Reinforcement Process)
- Susan's Favorite Tripods and Video Accessories
- Podcast Episode 133: Become Your Own Dog Training Coach With This Video Strategy
- Podcast Episode 57: Why Balance Breaks Fast Track Your Dog Training
- Crate Games
- YouTube Video: Perch Work (Pivots and Spins)
- Podcast Episode 53: Stop Your Dog Pulling on Leash and Start Walking Together
- YouTube Video: Understanding Your Dog's Reinforcement Zone (RZ) with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett's Target Stick Training for Dogs Part One
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett's Target Stick Training for Dogs Part Two
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube