High drive dogs are the most misunderstood group of dogs on the planet. High drive dogs are often intentionally bred for work like protection or herding, and they are motivated and focused. In many instances, high drive dogs are created, and the label of “over-aroused” is applied to a dog who is over-faced and misunderstood.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How I have misunderstood high drive dogs.
- Why we can’t change who our dogs are, but we can help them.
- Why our training mechanics impact highly driven dogs and increase frustration.
- How the dog’s frustration can spiral to redlining.
- What I videoed to show you how I created over-arousal in my dog, Momentum.
- 10 ways you can make life better for you and your high drive dog.
- Why maintaining criteria and creating clarity are vital.
- The most important question you can ask about your dog.
Resources to Visit Now:
Resources to Review:
- Podcast Episode 35: Pro Dog Training Tip To Improve Your Dog’s Focus
- Podcast Episode 103: Excited Or Suspicious Dog? Dealing With Your Dog’s Emotions
- Podcast Episode 106: Consent In Dog Training: The Misuse, Misunderstanding And Misapplication
- Blog Post: Got D.A.S.H. (Desire, Accuracy, Speed and Habitat)?
- Book: Shaping Success by Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 5: What is Shaping And How Can Dogs Shape Us
- Podcast Episode 06: The Art of Manipulation
- Podcast Episode 69: Clicker Training: Will It Work For Every Dog?
- Podcast Episode 52: The Five Most Common Words in Dog Training and Which Ones I Never Use
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube