We’re looking at how to train your dog to stop pulling on leash. You have probably heard me talk about the importance of exercise for dogs. But, for some of you, taking your dog for a walk is not enjoyable, and you just want your dog to walk nicely. I’m covering what might have led to your dog’s lead pulling, what you can do to fix it, and how you can start to enjoy going for a walk.
In the episode you'll hear:
- About my trips to Hot Springs, Arkansas, and why world-renowned animal trainers Bob and Marian Bailey taught us to train chickens.
- The importance of mechanics and reinforcement in training any animal.
- How pulling ahead of you on lead can be rewarding for your dog.
- Why your dog inadvertently learns that it’s important to be in front of you.
- All the good things that are out in front that can create pulling on lead.
- How to be intentional about a reward zone and why to know your pants seam.
- The best mechanics to use for loose leash walking.
- What better behaviour to train for success with walking on leash.
- How to hold the leash, how to reward your dog, and why to circle.
- The layers of training walking on a leash and how to rehearse success