If you’d like to train your dog to walk beside you on a leash without pulling, you are in the right place. There is one mistake that most people make when they are training walking on lead, and that is overwhelming their dog. In dog training lingo, we call it “lumping”. Once you understand how to split a behaviour down, you will have success and quickly stop your dog from pulling on leash.
In the episode you'll hear:
- What it would be like to learn how to juggle while on a pushbike.
- Why new people are like seeing movie stars for a puppy.
- About birds and bunnies and all the things that are distraction on your walks.
- How to split walking on a leash down for your dog.
- The easy way to start loose leash walking with perch work and pivots.
- Why it will only take you 7 days if you commit.
- How pivots help your dog to change sides on a walk.
- The importance of building value for Reinforcement Zone (RZ) for your dog.
- How to start fading your foot target.
- Why training leash walking starts with you and your dog stationary.
- How to know if you have gone too far, too fast and lumped.
- What to do to exercise your dog while you are working on walking on a lead.
- The layers needed for our dogs to succeed with loose leash walking.
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett’s Perch Work Dog Tricks (Pivots and Spins)
- Podcast Episode 53: Stop Your Dog Pulling on Leash and Start Walking Together
- Podcast Episode 32: 20 Easy Ways to Exercise Your Dog at Home
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Vlog Post: How do I Stop My Dog from Pulling on the Leash?
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube