Do you have a fitness program for your dog? It’s not something that is just for canine athletes and dog sports! Every dog will benefit from conditioning exercises for their health, well-being and longevity. A fitness program is also a fun way for you and your dog to spend time together and easy to start.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why fitness for dogs should include more than walks or chasing a ball or frisbee.
- How dogs can have an imbalance in their body leading to injury.
- The importance of your dog’s weight and getting a fitness check.
- Why soundness is different to fitness.
- About making sure that your dog has age-appropriate fitness exercises.
- The four areas I focus on with my dog’s fitness program.
- Why your dog’s strength, flexibility, balance, and proprioception are all important.
- The reason we need to build up our dog’s big muscles first.
- Why to introduce an unstable surface gradually to your dog’s fitness routine.
- What you can do today with a sit, down or stand for your dog’s fitness without any equipment.
- How you can join the canine fitness program that I am doing with the Susan20 discount code.
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett’s Perch Work Dog Tricks (Pivots and Spins)
- Podcast Episode 85: Understanding Your Dog’s Sit: LWT
- Blog Video: How to Train Your Dog to Stand on Cue
- Join Carolyn McIntyre’s “From the Ground Up” online fitness program with the discount code:
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
Balance Pad Information:
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!
The link to Carolyn’s programs are all broken. I guess the fitness program is no longer available? Thanks.
OMG I just found you and I love love love how you talk … you say it like it is !!!!!!! and I am always going nuts about all the overweight dogs whose owners don’t know … your new biggest fan !!!!!!!
From the Ground Up is an amazing fitness program for every dog out there from a family pet to a performance dog. It is a fabulous investment for the overall health and well being of your friend and teammate. Carolyn has set up video instructions to show how each exercise is done and also has a common mistakes video to help you get the mechanics just right for you and your dog. Thank you Susan for sharing and for your generosity. I am so grateful to both you and Carolyn for all that you do.
Thank you so much! We signed up for From the Ground up! Can’t wait to start this journey to help my pup be the best, healthiest dog she can be!
I have been using K9 Fitness equipment for my two Aussies for a few years now. This podcast really helped me understand that it isn’t just about that and I can do simple things like the sit, down, stand on walks to enhance their fitness as well. The epiphany for me was working on fitness really is just training. And my Aussies love to train. Thank you!
Thanks so much for this!! Going in to register for the canine fitness program right now 🙂 I think this will be perfect for my young GSD pup and give me even more things to keep her busy brain working outside of Recallers.