Learn, walk and train with me! We’re focusing on your dog’s “sit”. I’ll be giving you prompts during this episode for when you are with your dog so we can be dog training together. We’re also covering the 12 things that I consider fundamental for all dogs. Mastering the fundamentals will make anything you want to do with your dog so much easier.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Understanding your dog's sit.
- The criteria of speed and latency.
- Why to note how long it takes your dog to start sitting after your cue.
- Why to notice how fast your dog sits.
- Why speed and latency might be different in different environments.
- About rewarding for average or better.
- When to make use of your high value treats.
- About the importance of protecting your dog's confidence.
- The top 12 fundamentals for all dogs.
Susan Garrett’s Top 12 Fundamentals:
- Crate Games / Hot Zone
- Reinforcement Zone (RZ) / Loose Leash Walking
- Play with the toy I have
- Lay on side for co-operative care
- Hand Target
- Functional Tricks
- Podcast Episode 19: One of My Biggest Pet Peeves in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 12: When Helping Your Dog is an Illusion
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 53: Stop Your Dog Pulling on Leash and Start Walking Together
- Podcast Episode 73: Why Your Dog Is Still Pulling on Leash And How To Fix It
- Learn the ItsYerChoice Game
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 68: 3 Easy Tricks Every Dog Should Know
- Email [email protected] to let us know what you think of the new “Learn, Walk and Train” segment for our ShapedByDog podcast.
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube