After 30 years as a professional dog trainer, I’ve learned a lot of things. The most important thing makes dog training far less frustrating. Setting our dogs up for success can set us up for success in many areas of our lives.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How our dog’s behaviours give us all the information we need.
- Why I think who we become when we train a dog is as important as who our dog becomes.
- What my husband John noticed about me when I was teaching workshops.
- The five elements of the belief loop.
- How confirmation bias kicks into dog training.
- Examples of parenting in the 50’s compared to today.
- Why being curious and trying new things is a learning opportunity.
- Why I love my dogs to let their light shine.
- The reason I want my dogs to confidently makes choices.
- About reinforcement and setting dogs up for success.
- Why our thoughts influence how we relate to and train our dog.
- About asking ourselves important questions.
- How you train your dog will change you and the roads you could take.
- Why I embrace beliefs that bring out the best in my dogs.
- Podcast Episode 1: Done Is Better than Perfect
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- Podcast Episode 8: Get Your Dog in the Belief Loop of Awesome
- Confirmation Bias (Wikipedia)
- Podcast Episode 2: Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 6: The Art of Manipulation
- Podcast Episode 99: When Reinforcement Based Dog Training Doesn’t Work
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
Congratulations on 100 episodes!!! I have listened to them all–and binge listen to them repeatedly. Please keep doing this awesome podcast!
Wow, what an awesome podcast! Susan’s life lessons are just as excellent as her dog training lessons. The best motivational speaker ever!
I would actually be interested in a podcast about ALL your favorite books- dog training/behavior, etc. but also the self-improvement books. I have seen you mention a few here and there- such as Atomic Habits, which I was reading when you mentioned it and that made me super happy! But what other self-improvement books are your favorites? I believe that when we strive to become better as a person, we become better at everything we do, whether that be parenting, dog training, or leading a team, etc. Everything is connected.
What a journey through the first 100! Speaking of lessons in dog training, would you consider doing a podcast where you talk about your favorite books? Books on dog behavior, animal behavior, dog training etc.