Everything I train dogs to do, I do in the form of a game. We have a mantra around here that “work = play and play = work.” You can minimize the time you need for dog training by keeping this mantra in mind and noticing what your dog loves!
In the episode you'll hear:
- About Tater’s love of watermelon and being in the sun.
- What my Terrier Twister would do on a chair.
- How dogs do what is reinforcing and show us where the value is for them.
- What Tater does going out the door and why he might not go for a morning walk.
- About substitute consent and our dogs best interests.
- What competing values are for us and how that applies to dogs.
- How This! showed me her competing value when we are outside.
- What to do about your dog’s competing values.
- Why food, toys, activities, permission and our attention can all be reinforcing.
- The things dogs do that make me laugh.
- What Feature does at the built-in crates when it’s feeding time.
- How I have rules so my dogs can have the best life ever.
- Podcast Episode 2: Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 94: How the Best Professional Dog Trainers Use Reinforcement
- Blog Post: TOP Say Yes Training Reminders
- Blog Post: Who’s Shaping Me?
- Podcast Episode 106: Consent In Dog Training: The Misuse, Misunderstanding And Misapplication
- Blog Post: Built In Dog Crates For Home Decor
- Podcast Episode 11: The Power of Permission in Dog Training
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 27: Do Dogs Need Rules?
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube