I’m sharing my implementation guide so that you can teach your dog to stay and hold duration positions easily with reinforcement. Your dog understanding how to wait with duration will help in daily life around home, when you are out together, and in dog sports like obedience and agility. All you need is your dog, a tug or some treats, and you are ready to get started.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why I don’t use the phrase impulse control these days.
- The reason to start with correct being easy for your dog.
- How my 5C Formula for Success applies to stay training.
- About mini challenges that grow your dog’s confidence.
- Why your dog’s choice is your dog answering your question.
- How to apply my ItsYerChoice game to stay training.
- Why we want our dogs to want to stay in position as their choice.
- The steps to playing duration games with food if your dog does not like toys.
- Why we need to create clarity about when your dog’s stay is over.
- About the words search and break as release cues.
- My little test that you can play with your dog as you listen.
- How choice based dog training creates connection and trust.
Home School the Dog:
- Podcast Episode 134: How To Teach A Dog Stay WITHOUT Luring, Collar Pops Or Using The Word “Stay”
- Learn to play ItsYerChoice
- Get Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 44: Using Coincidences and Positive Associations in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 57: Why Balance Breaks Fast Track Your Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 21: The 5 Critical Dog Training Layers for Confidence with Anything
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube