In episode 203, I told the story of the behavior struggles I’ve had with my two-and-a-half-year-old Border Collie This! and the timeline of our challenges that were beyond dog training. And this episode is part two, covering how we began making changes to her diet, the practitioners who helped me help This!, and what I am doing now to ensure that This! has a life of joy. I also want to add a disclaimer that I am not a Veterinarian or Nutritionist. I just want to let you know the journey This! and I have been on together.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How I narrowed This!'s lack of drive and joy for work down to nutrition.
- That you can't dog train a problem that isn't a dog training problem.
- How an Austrian naturopath helped me help This!.
- Why my naturopath requested photographs of my dogs' gums and what they revealed.
- Why I believe a raw food diet is the best option for my dogs.
- The help I received from Dr. Laurie Coger, an integrative and functional medicine veterinarian.
- The role ancestral geographic origins have in nutrition.
- About our IC Peeps roundtable with Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet author Steve Brown.
- About Dr. Peter Dobias and the results of the heavy metal analysis of This!'s fur sample.
- My process for balancing This!'s diet and what I observed.
- How an herbalist used acupressure points to balance This!'s endocrine system.
- What I'm doing now in dog training to help This! have joy.
- How weekly Flyball classes are helping.
- What This! is eating now, and my hope for raw food manufacturers.
- The reason I entered This! into World Team Tryouts.
- Why I believe This!'s comeback will be bigger than her setbacks.
- Podcast Episode 203: Reactive, Unmotivated and Fearful: Finding Resiliency For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 1
- Dr. Laurie Coger: The Healthy Dog Workshop
- *Book: Unlocking The Canine Ancestral Diet by Steve Brown
- Dr. Peter Dobias Website
- Podcast Episode 183: What Does “Train The Dog In Front Of You” Really Mean?
- Podcast Episode 172: How To Teach Your Dog Anything With My Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 174: Dopamine In Dog Training: Anticipation, Rewards, And The Transfer Of Value
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!