Over the past couple of years, I’ve documented many challenges my dog This! and I have overcome, like reactivity, fear, resource guarding, and car sickness, to name a few behavior issues. And then, at an agility seminar here at my facility, This! fell apart. Now it’s time to put everything together. I have a two-part series outlining a timeline of This!’s struggles and what I’ve discovered to help her and many other dogs
In the episode you'll hear:
- How This! falling apart at an agility seminar was a symptom of a larger problem.
- Why you can’t dog train something that isn’t a dog training problem.
- The origins of This!’s name and that there are no coincidences.
- What I began noticing about This!’s body mechanics early in puppyhood.
- That This! only showed true drive for activities of adrenaline like chasing.
- About the reactivity, resource guarding, car sickness, stunted growth, and joylessness experienced by This!.
- How anything involving thinking for This! led to her decompressing for hours.
- Why my only focus for This! became her joy.
- How a naturopath came into my life to help me help This!.
- About This!’s growth stall relative to her littermates.
- What agility jump grids help us notice in our agility dogs.
- This!’s immediate performance improvement after nutritional changes.
- YouTube Video: Normalizing Imperfection in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 189: All The Things That Influence Your Dog’s Behavior And What Behavior Tells You
- Podcast Episode 36: Puppy Selection: How I Do It and Why I Didn’t This! Time
- *Book: The Resilience Project: Finding Happiness Through Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness by Hugh van Cuylenburg
- Instagram Video: Fixing Sloppy Puppy Sits
- Podcast Episode 155: 10 Ways To Teach A Sit WITHOUT A Food Lure! Unreal Results For Puppies And Dogs Of All Ages
- YouTube Video: Understanding Your Dog's Reinforcement Zone (RZ) with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 174: Dopamine In Dog Training: Anticipation, Rewards, And The Transfer Of Value
- Podcast Episode 66: Resource Guarding: Dog vs Dog Aggression
- Podcast Episode 75: Stop Motion Sickness: Helping Your Puppy or Dog Love the Car
- Podcast Episode 111: How An Anchor Dog Can Help Overcome Your Dog’s Anxiety Or Reactivity
- Podcast Episode 171: Dog Training With Layered Shaping: Why Classical Conditioning Must Come First
- Carolyn McIntyre Website
- Kim Collins Website
- Podcast Episode 162: Dogs Swimming: 5 Must Do Steps For Dogs Who Hate Or Love The Water
- VOSM: Dr Sherman Canapp and Dr Debra Canapp
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!