Recently I came across an envelope containing all my report cards from kindergarten through university. Reading over my teachers' comments was an enlightening study of behavior and how I adapted in the face of challenges. I'm sharing what I noticed with you as there's a parallel with dog behavior and why they do the things they do. Behavior can fall into seven distinct categories, and understanding the influence of each category is massively beneficial for us to know what dogs are communicating.
In the episode you'll hear:
- An overview of my school report cards and what they show about my behavior changing.
- How my teachers’ observations reflected the adaptations I made due to dyslexia.
- Why labels, absolutes and assumptions about a dog can limit their learning.
- That dog training is never a linear path, and we are always relationship building.
- About the 7 categories of Genetics, Health, Education, Exercise, Sleep, Environment and Nutrition and how each can influence a dog’s behavior.
- That our dog’s behavior is information and gives us great feedback to help them.
- Why the question “what else might be true” is vital to ask yourself.
- That unconditional love means allowing your dog to communicate through behavior.
- Podcast Episode 50: Can Your Worst Challenge Make You a Better Dog Trainer?
- Podcast Episode 71: Pro Dog Trainer’s Secret to Help Your Naughty Dog
- Podcast Episode 186: 2 Types Of Connection With Dogs: Dog Agility And Daily Life Case Studies
- YouTube Video: Normalizing Imperfection in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 188: Why You Should Change Your Strategy Rather Than Your Criteria When Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 74: Yes, Susan Garrett’s Dogs Sniff On Walks
- YouTube Playlist: Puppy Essentials with Susan Garrett Dog Training
- YouTube Playlist: Fearful Dogs Help with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Exercising Your Dog's Body and Mind: Tips and Games with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 120: The Rhythm Of Life With Puppies And Dogs
- Podcast Episode 62: 12 Keys to Helping My Dogs Live a Long and Happy Life
- YouTube Playlist: Susan Garrett's Dog Training Philosophy and Training Processes
- Podcast Episode 46: Is Your Dog Trying to Dominate You and What You Can Do About It
- Podcast Episode 150: Adding Mindset To Your Dog Training Tools: Who Do You Become?
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube