There is one thing that you can do easily to help overcome any dog training challenge you might have. That one thing is something I’ve been talking about and doing for 30 years. It’s record keeping! Keeping a journal for your dog is not as hard as you might think, and it will fast track your success.
In the episode you'll hear:
- What labels can do to our dogs.
- How I journaled This!’s resource guarding and why it helped fast track success.
- What to keep track of when you are record keeping.
- Why to ask the question Jean Donaldson recommends: Is your dog upset?
- When to focus on your dog’s emotional state.
- What will create a ticking time bomb for your dog and how to avoid it.
- About counter conditioning to help your dog.
- The importance of eliminating rehearsals of behavior you want to change.
- Why dog training alone is not always the answer.
- About fear responses in dogs.
- Why to include what your dog does well in your journaling.
- What I learned about This! by record keeping and why she now has a middle of the day nap.
- About the way record keeping showed me what happens at the top of the stairs.
- How knowing patterns will help resolve your dog’s challenges.
- The importance of celebrating progress.
- Why to differentiate between dog training and emotional states.
- When to get an evaluation from a reinforcement based dog trainer.
- DogsThat YouTube Channel (Watch Shaped by Dog Podcast Videos and More!)
- Podcast Episode 66: Resource Guarding: Dog vs Dog Aggression
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- Blog Video: Understanding Your Dog’s Triggers
- Podcast Episode 6: The Art of Manipulation
- Podcast Episode 48: Potty Train Your Puppy in a Week (Easy 3 Step Process)
- Podcast Episode 14: Creating Intentional Multi-Dog Household Harmony
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube