All dogs deserve toys, and all people with dogs deserve to know as much as possible about toys. I’m covering my favorite dog toys, how I used them, and why to avoid the two most popular for dogs. My house is a treasure trove of toys, and I’m sharing who they are for and when. Plus, we’re looking at toy selection to protect you and your dog from harm and tips for playing fetch safely.
In the episode you'll hear:
- My top dog toys and toys to avoid.
- How I make toys available to my dogs.
- About good toy habits for puppies.
- Criteria I have for selecting dog toys.
- The two categories of toys for training.
- About using toys for rescue dogs or puppies to boost confidence.
- The dangers of dogs playing with sticks and tennis balls.
- Why I created my “Bring Me” program to teach dogs to retrieve.
- That North America lacks toxicity guidelines for dog toys.
- The safer options of Kong tennis balls and play sticks for dogs.
- Why a renowned Veterinary dentist recommends road hockey balls.
- Safety tips and suggestions for playing fetch with dogs with balls.
- Why to avoid Dollar Store dog toys.
- Podcast Episode 89: Why Dogs Should Not Tug: The Truth Revealed
- YouTube Video: 15 Ways To Exercise Your Dog
- 4MyMerles Dog Toys
- Podcast Episode 95: How Playing with Your Dog Like a Puppy Can Reduce Fear
- YouTube Playlist: Exercising Your Dog's Body and Mind: Tips and Games
- Podcast Episode 32: 20 Easy Ways to Exercise Your Dog at Home
- Vlog Post: How to Teach a Puppy to Retrieve
- Podcast Episode 55: Pro Dog Trainer’s Guide to Toy Selection
- TikTok Video: The Dangers of Sticks for Dogs
- *Wood Dog Chew
- *Kong Squeezz Stick
- Home School the Dog
- Article: Yikes, Your Dog’s Toys May Be Toxic
- *Kong SqueakAir Ball
- Podcast Episode 174: Dopamine In Dog Training: Anticipation, Rewards, And The Transfer Of Value
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!