Raising dogs in a home with kids and kids in a home with dogs can be harmonious when you have the right expectations for great outcomes. Now, I don’t have children, but my dogs are around many children as I have a lot of nieces and nephews. There can be a great deal of joy for kids and dogs and many life lessons if we set everyone up for success. Do you know someone who has children and a dog? Share this podcast episode with them, and together we can help families with kids and dogs and make life better for everybody.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How imagining living with an overly exuberant relative relates to your dog.
- Why I believe having a dog in a house with children can be an awesome combination.
- How adults can help create the best relationship possible between kids and dogs.
- Why we all have the right to say we are uncomfortable.
- What children learn from us in the way we treat our dogs.
- How even the kindest people might inadvertently teach life lessons they don’t want their children to emulate.
- Why family agreements can be massively beneficial for everyone, including dogs.
- How giving your dog a nickname can set kids and dogs up for success.
- About including children in your dog training plans without overwhelm.
- The transitions to train for your dog that will create household harmony.
- What education I believe is critical for all dogs living with children.
- Why I’m telling my team to give you a massive discount to join Home School the Dog.
- Productive and safe ways that kids and dogs can enjoy time together.
- How we can be the best advocates for both kids and dogs.
- What you can do with “Home School the Dog I was listening”!
- Podcast Episode 25: Why All Dogs Can Bite and How to Reduce the Risk with R.E.A.D.
- Podcast Episode 13: Naming Your Puppy or Dog
- Podcast Episode 19: One of My Biggest Pet Peeves in Dog Training
- Blog Post: A GAME to Preserve Your Dog’s Recall Cue
- Game: Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice (IYC)
- Crate Games Online
- Susan's Team: [email protected]
- Podcast Episode 57: Why Balance Breaks Fast Track Your Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 6: The Art of Manipulation
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
Not sure if you have another video on this… but I don’t have kids yet, but I’m getting a puppy now. I want to have kids in the future and I want to set my dog up for success for that now. If we don’t have children, or are talking about newborn babies through toddler age that can’t really help with the dog what is the best way to get the dog used to that? Would you recommend going to friend’s houses with the dog that has young kids? This video is great for a family that has kids that is preparing to get a dog, but how do you prepare a dog for kids before you have kids?
You are incredibly knowledgeable – I was watching homeschool the dog and need this desperately for my family and our puppy! Also watching how to Create kid friendly dogs and dogs friendly kids
Thank you. I just watched this with my two girls, 7 and 8. One thing that made me a bit sad was seeing the clips of small kids playing with puppies. We’re missing out on that, because our pup is very bitey. My girls quickly lose interest (pain does that!) and it’s a real wedge between them and the pup. She’ll jump up, teeth bared energetically, for a playful bite out of your nose, hands, or pant-legs. All in good fun for her, but not for us. She’s getting better, slowly, but by the time she’s safe to play with (she’s 12 weeks now), I think she will no longer be that small cute thing which you see in the some of the clips here!
I wish I could have a contract on dog care with my husband!! I keep stopping this podcast and going to him and making him listen to sections (hugging the dog, approaching the dog when he’s eating etc). Not improving my marriage relationship but might get him to actually pay attention as it’s someone else saying it and not me!
I think my husband is the “kid”. I have sadly learnt not to allow him into the training sessions as it’s the fastest way for my dog to unlearn what he was just trained!