It’s completely normal to feel some apprehension about leaving a puppy alone. But there are things that you do that contribute to the chaos or calm you find when you return home. I’m covering the formula that I use to ensure a happy life with a puppy and how to prevent separation anxiety.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why to see a Veterinary Behaviorist if you have a dog experiencing separation anxiety.
- About how we can help our puppy look forward to confinement.
- Why calm greetings, arrivals and departures contribute to the well-being of puppies.
- What my puppy morning routine looks like and the three events of train, walk and enterichment
(yes, enterichment, you probably won’t find that in a dictionary!).
- What I do to settle my puppy just before I leave to create a routine.
- How long you should leave a young puppy alone at home.
- Steps you can take to help your puppy get used to alone time and why that is the gift of confidence.
- Why to start helping your puppy with being on their own when you are home.
- The 5 big mistakes people make that contribute to chaos when a puppy is left alone.
- What negative reinforcement is, how it relates to a dog being alone and avoiding nuisance barking.
- Why I do not recommend tethering or umbilical cord training for puppies or dogs.
- How puppies can grow up to be relaxed dogs who can hang out anywhere at home.
- The importance of setting you and your puppy up for success for your life together.
- Podcast Episode 30: Why Dog Crates Are Not Dog Cages
- Blog Post: A Day in the Life of a Susan Garrett Puppy
- Podcast Episode 70: Critical Info for Your Puppy’s First Day and Night at Home
- YouTube Video: Perch Work Dog Tricks (Pivots and Spins)
- Crate Games Online
- Susan Garrett's Puppy Videos: Playlist on YouTube
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
great pod cast – thanks – never thought of tethering in the way you explained it
What a great topic! I wish I would have listened to this podcast 7 months ago. I knew some of your information along the way and didn’t do my due diligence with crating my puppy while being home. We are in Crate Games but she still doesn’t like me to leave her in crate. We continue to train daily on being in the crate and I have confidence we will get there! Thanks again for another great podcast!
Thank you for going over this – will start process right away.