It’s completely normal to feel some apprehension about leaving a puppy alone. But there are things that you do that contribute to the chaos or calm you find when you return home. I’m covering the formula that I use to ensure a happy life with a puppy and how to prevent separation anxiety.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why to see a Veterinary Behaviorist if you have a dog experiencing separation anxiety.
- About how we can help our puppy look forward to confinement.
- Why calm greetings, arrivals and departures contribute to the well-being of puppies.
- What my puppy morning routine looks like and the three events of train, walk and enterichment
(yes, enterichment, you probably won’t find that in a dictionary!).
- What I do to settle my puppy just before I leave to create a routine.
- How long you should leave a young puppy alone at home.
- Steps you can take to help your puppy get used to alone time and why that is the gift of confidence.
- Why to start helping your puppy with being on their own when you are home.
- The 5 big mistakes people make that contribute to chaos when a puppy is left alone.
- What negative reinforcement is, how it relates to a dog being alone and avoiding nuisance barking.
- Why I do not recommend tethering or umbilical cord training for puppies or dogs.
- How puppies can grow up to be relaxed dogs who can hang out anywhere at home.
- The importance of setting you and your puppy up for success for your life together.
- Podcast Episode 30: Why Dog Crates Are Not Dog Cages
- Blog Post: A Day in the Life of a Susan Garrett Puppy
- Podcast Episode 70: Critical Info for Your Puppy’s First Day and Night at Home
- YouTube Video: Perch Work Dog Tricks (Pivots and Spins)
- Crate Games Online
- Susan Garrett's Puppy Videos: Playlist on YouTube
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube