The first day with your new puppy is a critical start for your relationship. When a puppy comes into your home, they are fully capable of learning the moment they arrive. It’s super important to be intentional about how your puppy goes about life from the moment they join your family.
In the episode you'll hear:
- The essential things to do during your puppy’s first 24 hours at home.
- What to avoid doing with puppies in the first few days.
- Why to talk to your puppy’s breeder or rescue organization.
- What to know about what your puppy has been eating, their potty training experience and if they have had any crate training.
- What I feed my puppies and how to select dog food.
- Why to plan to be home for a few days when your puppy arrives.
- About the importance of protecting your puppy’s mental and physical health and how to create positive associations with you.
- How puppies explore with their mouths and five ways to set your pup up for success.
- Where to create puppy zones and what they are.
- About the importance of creating a schedule for a puppy to thrive and the schedule I use for a pup.
- How to make your puppy’s first week one of comfort and confidence.
- The games to play with puppies and the toys I use.
- Why your puppy needs to know who is safe and about socializing with people and dogs.
- What not to do with your puppy.
- Why to write to us [email protected] with the subject line “I am committed”.
- Ex-Pen: Rover Modular Pet Enclosures
- *Ex-Pen: Plastic 8-Panel
- *Ex-Pen: Folding Metal
- Gunner Crate Crash Test
- Blog Post: A Day in the Life of a Susan Garrett Puppy
- Video: 5 Games for Puppies
- 4MyMerles Creations Toys
- West Paw Toppl Treat Toys
- Podcast Episode 10: What to Know Before Getting a Puppy or Dog
- Podcast Episode 17: Help! How do I STOP Puppy Biting?!
- Podcast Episode 18: 4 Puppy and Dog Training Games for Acquired Bite Inhibition
- Podcast Episode 26: Pro Dog Training Tips to Get Your Puppy to Sleep All Night
- Podcast Episode 30: Why Dog Crates Are Not Dog Cages
- Podcast Episode 32: 20 Easy Ways to Exercise Your Dog at Home
- Podcast Episode 41: Get a Behaved Dog by Celebrating Milestones!
- Podcast Episode 44: Using Coincidences and Positive Associations in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 48: Potty Train Your Puppy in a Week (Easy 3 Step Process)
- Podcast Episode 58: How to Create Kid Friendly Dogs and Dog Friendly Kids
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!
Dear Susan, Thank you so much for all your great help. I have a couple of questions:
1) how much should the dog sleep while they grow (4-5-6-months old)?
2) what do you exactly feed your dog? How do you measure the exact quantity you give them?
Thanks a gain!
I will bring home new pup in 2 days! I plan to have him sleep in a crate in the bedroom next to the bed. My question is, I am a night owl. How do you manage putting the puppy to sleep if you are the human are not quite ready for bed at that time?
When I joined Home School the dog, I thought it started with training puppy skills such as sit, stay, etc., I just now found your resources for puppies and am now going through those podcasts first. I was really confused about starting training a puppy with Treat Diving. Not I think I am set straight. I’ve had my puppy for a month, he is a rescued Lab mix and is approximately 6 months old. This is a 39 lb puppy. Not the little tiny puppy I was expecting, but my understanding now is that even a 3 month old mixed Lab is a pretty big puppy. Can a six month old have hard chew toys? This guy wants to chew EVERYTHING!!! And I live in a very small home and with the crate in the living room, I have no room for an x-pen. I also have a gate blocking him from the kitchen and bedroom so my 2 older cats can feel safe from him. Any tips on introducing him to them? He’s big and they are fairly small. As of now they do nose through the gate separating the kitchen from the living room, and I have opened the gate and had them rub heads, with my hand on Marley’s halter at all times. Thank you so much for your guidance and i LOVE that I have found you and belong to the Home School the Dog. Your humor and teaching style is awesome!!
thank you. I’ve begun following all your podcasts. Pup comes next week. I want to work hard to help her become all she can be. Thanks so much
So glad I’m doing these before Emie ( toy size MiKi) arrives in one week! Totally excited n feeling more ease with day one week one🎉💌 Found you on Facebook my names spelled wrong there though( Rasmuseen)
getting another puppy hopefully this year looking forward to a different way to train. In Reallers now for my other two Thanks so much
Can’t go wrong with this podcast! Makes me want a puppy just to get it off to a great start for an awesome life 🙂 Five cookie review 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
Awesome Content! Thank you Susan! s2 Getting my puppy today and this is really helping me feel confident and at peace with this new chapter in our lives:). Feeling better prepared thanks to you!