Dog training games deepen the bond we have with our dogs, grow trust, build confidence and give our dogs beneficial skills for daily life. A life skill that is important for all dogs is wearing a muzzle. We want to create a positive conditioned emotional response to a muzzle for our dog. Fun games will help your dog LOVE wearing a muzzle and give you confidence if your dog should ever need one.
Important: If your dog is wearing a muzzle in the heat, please take care, supervise, and make sure that the muzzle will allow your dog to pant.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why a dog might need to wear a muzzle, including at the Vet.
- How emotions are an unconscious response and dogs might react if scared or in pain.
- About consent in dog training and that we want our dogs to trust us.
- What to look for when selecting a muzzle for your dog.
- How a bowl and a canning funnel are great for muzzle training.
- The training steps with games so that your dog loves putting a muzzle on.
- How to create a positive CER for your dog wearing a muzzle.
- What to look for in your dog’s body language for an excellent TEMP.
- The reason you want a cue for your dog to muzzle up.
- Why I use “Hey, Can You?!” for my dogs to run to get a muzzle on.
- How to grow the Double D of duration and distractions for the muzzle.
Get Your Free eBook for Muzzle Training and the Video Embed Code:
Wag Nation Opportunity:
- Podcast Episode 106: Consent In Dog Training: The Misuse, Misunderstanding And Misapplication
- Podcast Episode 107: Pedicure Please: 3 Steps To Dog Nail Trimming Or Grooming Success At Home!
- YouTube Video - Vet Visits For Dogs: How To Create A Positive Experience For Everyone
- Podcast Episode 132: All The Things Your Dog Hates And How To Fix Them
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- YouTube Video - Should My Dog Be Off Leash Right Now?
- YouTube Playlist - Cooperative Care and Consent in Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- *Baskerville Muzzle at Amazon
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!