The best thing we can do for our dogs is protect them from unpleasant events. Fireworks displays can be
beautiful for us but can be traumatic for dogs. It’s not just dogs; many animals are scared of fireworks, including wildlife. We can help our dogs by preparing and keeping them safe, and I’m covering strategies that you can put into place right now.
In the episode you'll hear:
- The alternatives to fireworks and how we can start asking for change.
- Why not to take fireworks lightly and act now.
- How exercising on the day there will be fireworks will help your dog.
- Why to be at home with you during fireworks to keep them safe.
- What to do if you have multiple dogs and some are sound sensitive.
- The three strategies of stimulate, soothe and settle to help dogs.
- How to time and play games to help your dog during thunder or fireworks.
- How to use food toys, or meaty bones during noise events.
- About soothing your dog and how settling strategies can help dogs who fear fireworks.
- When to contact your Vet about medication to help your dog.
- That the strategies will help you create a positive conditioned emotional response for your dog.
- About the importance of being proactive in preparing for fireworks.
- YouTube Playlist: Exercising Your Dog's Body and Mind: Tips and Games with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Dog Training Games with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 107: Pedicure Please: 3 Steps To Dog Nail Trimming Or Grooming Success At Home!
- *Thundershirt (Calming Wraps)
- iCalmPet (Calming Music)
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- *D.A.P. (Adaptil)
- Podcast Episode 153: Dog Muzzles: Everything You Need To Know And How To Muzzle Train Dogs
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!