When you have a new puppy, safe socializing is important. Something to consider is taking a pup to outdoor cafes or restaurants. When you do it right, there are many benefits. But if done badly, your puppy could end up overwhelmed or having a bad experience and becoming fearful. I’m covering all the steps to grow your puppy’s confidence when dining out at a pet-friendly venue so you can enjoy a coffee or meal with family and friends.
In the episode you'll hear:
- All the benefits of taking your puppy to an outdoor café, restaurant, or similar.
- That planning and preparing starts with knowing your puppy.
- How growing confidence in new environments is crucial.
- Why to have a backup plan and what that could be.
- The three games that prepare puppies to relax in new spaces.
- What to bring (and not bring) to the restaurant.
- Tips on what to practice at home before going to new locations.
- How to be intentional about picking the right table in the right location.
- The training plan I use when I have my puppies out at cafes or restaurants.
- All the steps to making dining out with you a positive experience for your puppy.
Learn how to play ItsYerChoice:
- Blog Post: Have You Tried A “Puppy Adventure Trip?”
- Podcast Episode 130: Conditioned Responses: The Magic Every New Puppy (And Dog) Owner Must Know About
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 32: 20 Easy Ways to Exercise Your Dog at Home
- Podcast Episode 134: How To Teach A Dog Stay WITHOUT Luring, Collar Pops Or Using The Word “Stay”
- Podcast Episode 171: Dog Training With Layered Shaping: Why Classical Conditioning Must Come First
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube