Dog training has its fads and one you might have heard is never feeding your dog from a bowl. This trend of feeding dogs exclusively by hand can get people into trouble. I believe that dogs should not have to earn the right to get fed. Today I’m explaining why at least part of your dog’s meals should come from a bowl, alternative feeding methods to enrich your dog, and powerful ways to reinforce your dog that don’t involve food.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why dogs should be at least partially bowl-fed.
- Enrichment ideas for dogs using food.
- What I wrote in my book, Ruff Love.
- Why I don’t advise hand feeding dogs only.
- Why dogs need reassurance that food isn’t contingent on behavior.
- Practical reasons why dogs should learn to eat from a bowl.
- How hand feeding dogs only can backfire.
- Other ways to reinforce your dog without food.
- Why to keep an eye on your dog’s weight.
- YouTube Playlist: Reinforcement, Permissions and Transfer of Value in Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- Book: Ruff Love by Susan Garrett
- Vlog: Talking About Ruff Love (Tater and Chipmunks)
- Podcast Episode 216: Dog Sitting For A Friend? Top 10 Tips For Fun, Safety And Success
- YouTube Playlist: Resource Guarding In Dogs and Puppies with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 196: Why Mastering Reinforcement Is The Linchpin To Reinforcement Based Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 94: How the Best Professional Dog Trainers Use Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 205: The Hidden World Of Reinforcement For Dogs And Why You Need To Know
- YouTube Playlist: Loose Leash Walking with Susan Garrett
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube