To become great at reinforcement-based dog training, you have to get great at the use of reinforcement. I’m covering the hidden world of reinforcers for dogs and why to know the what, when, where and who of
reinforcement. It goes well beyond the use of training treats and toy rewards. Awareness of everything reinforcing gives exponential ways to multiply the value of reinforcement in your dog training and to understand your dog's behavior.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How to identify your dog’s hidden reinforcers and leverage them to your advantage.
- The clear definition of what reinforcement truly is.
- Examples of what a dog finds reinforcing and the influence of when, where and with whom it’s experienced.
- How different conditions can multiply or nullify the value of a reinforcer.
- When water makes a great reinforcer and a tip to increase its value when appropriate.
- That you don’t need super high value reinforcement every time you train.
- How interaction and your body language reinforces your dog.
- What you need to know about negative reinforcement for unwanted behaviors.
- Why the things that lead to dogs chasing are reinforcing.
- Types of destructive and productive activities dogs find rewarding.
- That where you train, and the conditions greatly impact your training success.
- Why every distraction outside of fear is reinforcing to your dog.
- Why movement, like a flirt pole, is sometimes better than food rewards around distractions.
- What to use to your advantage to create more value for reinforcements when training.
- Podcast Episode 196: Why Mastering Reinforcement Is The Linchpin To Reinforcement Based Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 197: Outsmarting Distractions: How To Use Environmental Reinforcement in Dog Training
- Tasty Treat Recipes eBook
- West Paw Toppl Treat Toys
- Kong Toys
- YouTube Playlist: Loose Leash Walking with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 40: Using A Head Halter On A Dog, Why My Approach Is So Different
- YouTube Video: Understanding Your Dog's Reinforcement Zone (RZ) with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for Dogs who Chase Chipmunks, Bicycles, and Neighbor’s Cats (Distraction Intensity Index) #24
- Podcast Episode 154: Car Vacations With Dogs: Tips To Make Holiday Road Trips Safe And Fun For All
- Podcast Episode 162: Dogs Swimming: 5 Must Do Steps For Dogs Who Hate Or Love The Water
- Podcast Episode 127: Puppy Socialization: Playtime For Puppies And Permissions
- Podcast Episode 121: How To Stop Dogs Jumping Up On People
- Podcast Episode 88: Barrier Frustration: Help for Fence Fighting, Leash Reactivity and Window Guarding
- Podcast Episode 42: Behavior Chains: Are You Teaching Your Dog to be Bad to be Good?
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 172: How To Teach Your Dog Anything With My Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 111: How An Anchor Dog Can Help Overcome Your Dog’s Anxiety Or Reactivity
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube