Imagine if your cute, cuddly puppy suddenly turned aggressive on you. You might think your puppy is trying to dominate you or acting out to spite you, but that is not the case. We’re looking at what is going with aggression in puppies and what to do about resource guarding. As scary and unimaginable as it may seem, a puppy showing aggression over resources is normal, and there are things that you can do right now to help.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How resource guarding is a survival mechanism for puppies and dogs.
- What to notice about the early signs of resource guarding.
- How humans can make resource guarding worse.
- When and why to see a Veterinary Behaviorist.
- What to do when a dog guards against you or another person.
- Why to consider your dog’s emotional response and feelings of fear.
- How we can have feelings that lead us to want to guard our resources too!
- Why to look at things from your puppy’s point of view.
- How to create a great Conditioned Emotional Response (CER) for your pup or dog.
- The reason punishment only suppresses behavior and does not change behavior.
- Why not to take your pup’s bowl away or put your hands in the food.
- How to keep everyone safe and create a relationship of trust with your dog.
- The common ways your puppy will show you they are not comfortable.
- All the steps to prevent and fix puppy aggression.
- Podcast Episode 66: Resource Guarding: Dog vs Dog Aggression
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- *Book: Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs by Jean Donaldson
- Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice (IYC)
- Crate Games Online
- To join Home School the Dog at a special discount, write to us at [email protected] with the subject line: I watched resource guarding
- Podcast Episode 6: The Art of Manipulation
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!