“How many hours a day do you spend training your puppy or dog?” is one of the most common questions I get. So, we’ll look at a typical day in the life of my dogs. What happens might surprise you as I don’t spend as much time training as many would think. What is important is the training between the training.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why the interactions with your dog are the relationship.
- About a typical day in my life with my dogs.
- How I get the training done before I do the training.
- Why I keep dog treats in small bowls around my home.
- About being ready to reward your dog for doing something well.
- How I capture behaviours that I want my dogs to do.
- The opportunities for my dogs to earn reinforcement at mealtimes.
- Why I am intentional about catching my dogs doing something well.
- About being aware of the thing before the thing.
- Why to decide what your rules are for your dog.
- About using walks for training opportunities.
- Why to be present to what your dog is rehearsing.
- How 75% of my puppy training happens when I’m not training.
- Why 95% of my adult dog training happens when I’m not training.
- Podcast Episode 16: The Thing Before Your Dog’s Thing
- *Book: Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott
- Podcast Episode 80: Does Your Dog Love You? Let’s Talk Relationships
- Podcast Episode 26: Pro Dog Training Tips to Get Your Puppy to Sleep All Night
- Podcast Episode 2: Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 11: The Power of Permission in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 33: How Do I Stop My Dog Counter Surfing?!
- Podcast Episode 27: Do Dogs Need Rules?
- Podcast Episode 15: CSI Tips for Managing a Multi-Dog Household
- Blog Post: Rolling out a Big Adventure
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!