How do you move from punishment based or balanced dog training to being a choice based trainer who uses positive reinforcement? That’s a question one of our YouTube viewers asked. If you have the same question, you are not alone. Three keys to help make lasting change in how you train your dog are knowing your why, having a plan, and giving yourself grace.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why we notice the bad and how that can be evident on social media.
- About the ABC’s of dog training: Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence.
- How the ABC relates to counter surfing.
- Why the consequence of punishment can reinforce that dog training choice.
- About starting with your WHY.
- The difference between wishing and dedication.
- How we train our dog changes us and the way we look at life.
- About considering the lessons we are teaching to our children.
- How our why can bring the best in our dogs and in ourselves.
- That staying present will help you be the trainer you want to be.
- How to get brilliant at using reinforcement.
- Why to be aware of your dog’s reinforcement away from training.
- The reason to change how you think and talk about yourself and your dog.
- What grace has to do with dog training.
- The questions to ask yourself to create the changes you want.
- Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice
- Episode 16: The Thing Before Your Dog’s Thing
- *Book: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Podcast Episode 100: Dog Training: The Most Important Lesson I Can Share
- Podcast Episode 27: Do Dogs Need Rules?
- Shaped By Dog Podcast: All Episodes
- Podcast Episode 83: The Dog Training You Do When You’re Not Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 11: The Power of Permission in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 2: Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 8: Get Your Dog in the Belief Loop of Awesome
- Podcast Episode 21: The 5 Critical Dog Training Layers for Confidence with Anything
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!