Puppies pee for one of three reasons; they might have a bladder infection, their bladder is full and they need to relieve themselves, or they pee because they are excited or a little bit afraid and don’t even realize they are doing it! Often puppies pee when they greet people, and it’s not a conscious choice on their part. It’s not a housebreaking issue and has nothing to do with potty training. We’re talking about overexcited peeing and submissive urination and what you can do to help your puppy or dog.
In the episode you'll hear:
- That excited or submissive urination comes from emotions and your puppy is not aware they are peeing.
- Why your dog peeing in excitement or fear has nothing to do with house training.
- How helping your puppy starts with building their confidence.
- The factors contributing to submissive urination including tone of voice, eye contact and body movement.
- How it could happen when you force your puppy to do something when they are not ready.
- The seven ways you can prepare for excited or submissive urination and what not to do.
- Why to practice calm greetings with your puppy or dog.
- About the two different approaches to take to fix your puppy’s unconscious elimination.
- How to change your puppy’s focus with a quick fix and toys or treats at your door.
- About the empowering fix to grow your puppy’s confidence.
- Why to create a new trigger for your puppy and how your visitors can help with calm greetings.
- The reason to practice my greet and re-greet protocol to rehearse success.
- Podcast Episode 48: Potty Train Your Puppy in a Week (Easy 3 Step Process)
- Podcast Episode 103: Excited Or Suspicious Dog? Dealing With Your Dog’s Emotions
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Get Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 109: Project Calm Dog: Prevent Over Enthusiastic Greetings
- Learn to Play ItsYerChoice (IYC)
- Podcast Episode 68: 3 Easy Tricks Every Dog Should Know
- YouTube Video: 5 Games for Puppies
- YouTube Playlist: Puppy Training with Susan Garrett
- PDF Download: Project Calm Dog Poster
- Podcast Episode 121: How To Stop Dogs Jumping Up On People
- *Nature's Miracle Stain Remover Eliminator
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve met puppies that will do the excited/submissive pee on a walk when greeting people. What would be the best way to overcome this? or is it a case of building confidence at home and it will transfer when there out.