If you were to get 100 of the world’s best dog trainers in a room, there would be a lot of disagreements. However, if you asked, “what’s the number one training mistake people make with their new puppy?” 99 of those dog trainers would give you the same answer. If you were to google, how do I get my puppy to stop, search results like stop peeing in the house, stop barking, and stop putting everything in their mouth, will be returned. These puppy behavior problems are related to the number one mistake dog trainers agree about: giving a puppy too much freedom.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why puppies can’t have too much freedom without something bad happening.
- How puppy zones prevent the rehearsal of undesired behaviours.
- About the stages of puppy development related to giving freedom.
- How I utilize crates, ex-pens and baby gates for puppy zones and safety.
- The reason not to use a doggy door with your puppy.
- Why I want my puppies to learn alone time, pottying on leash, and listening indoors and outdoors.
- About sleep time, potty time, training time, eating time, exercise time and chill time for a puppy.
- Tips for structuring your morning schedule with a puppy to create success.
- Podcast Episode 30: Why Dog Crates Are Not Dog Cages
- Crate Games
- Podcast Episode 48: Potty Train Your Puppy in a Week (Easy 3 Step Process)
- Blog Post: All About Dogs Sleeping in the Bedroom
- Podcast Episode 98: Puppy Home Alone: Are You Creating Chaos or Calm?
- Podcast Episode 26: Pro Dog Training Tips to Get Your Puppy to Sleep All Night
- YouTube Video: Puppy's First Training with Susan Garrett: Shaping, Targeting and Collar Conditioning
- YouTube Playlist: Puppy Essentials with Susan Garrett Dog Training
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
Leave A Comment