I’ve met a lot of people at the crossroads of their dog training and looking to go in a more reinforcement-based direction, but they’re worried it won’t work due to old beliefs and habits. Unless you were one of the lucky few to learn nothing but reinforcement-based dog training, leaving behind the familiar for something new naturally creates fear and vulnerability, especially when surrounded by socalled ‘experts’ and naysayers when you encounter challenges. We’re covering how to recognize belief loops that could be holding you back.
In the episode you'll hear:
- That safety for everyone is your first priority in dog training.
- Why to choose your experts carefully for your sake and your dog’s wellbeing.
- The reasons dog training knowledge should always be growing and evolving.
- How belief loops and confirmation bias impact your dog training and decisions.
- Why it’s not necessary to be your dog’s dominant leader.
- About protecting yourself from naysayers and uninformed opinions.
- Why giving dogs opportunities to earn high value reinforcement creates deep connection.
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Podcast Episode 58: How to Create Kid Friendly Dogs and Dog Friendly Kids
- YouTube Playlist: Dog Bite Prevention with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Dog Body Language, Communication Signals, and How to Read Dogs with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Reactive or Aggressive Dogs: Key Insights with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Susan Garrett's Dog Training Philosophy and Training Processes
- Podcast Episode 46: Is Your Dog Trying to Dominate You and What You Can Do About It
- Podcast Episode 8: Get Your Dog in the Belief Loop of Awesome
- Podcast Episode 100: Dog Training: The Most Important Lesson I Can Share
- YouTube Playlist: Reinforcement, Permissions and Transfer of Value in Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for Dogs who Chase Chipmunks, Bicycles, and Neighbor’s Cats (Distraction Intensity Index) #24
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
“priority number one, always, always, always keep your dog safe. Priority number two, love the dog. And let the dog know you love them by your actions. ”
I love it!!!!