Most puppies go through a ‘Fear Period’ stage, which can include fear of objects, adults, children, and other dogs. Unfortunately, many popular strategies taught to counter puppy fear are the absolute worst things possible. I’m covering three things you should never do when your puppy or rescue dog displays fear of people and what to do instead to create confident and empowered dogs.
In the episode you'll hear:
- The bad advice given when puppies show fear of people.
- What 'flooding' is and why it intensifies fears.
- The 3E's of Environment, Education and Empowerment for puppy and rescue dog socializing.
- About empowering your dog with choice vs. controlling them.
- Cues and games that grow confidence for puppies and dogs.
- How to use a distinct noise to refocus a puppy's attention when they're worried.
- Ways to change the environment easily by changing your appearance.
- How to set up "training dens" in your home and increase confidence for puppies or rescue dogs.
- What body language looks like for confident and joyful dogs.
- How to manage and train in environments with potential fear triggers for your dog.
- What to do when you have houseguests that your dog or puppy fears.
Shaped by Dog Episode 200 Online Celebration Event
Learn to Play ItsYerChoice:
- Crate Games Online
- Podcast Episode 191: Get Your Dog To Calm Down With This Common Sense Protocol For Relaxation
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett’s Perch Work Dog Tricks (Pivots and Spins)
- YouTube Playlist: Target Training for Dogs with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 89: Why Dogs Should Not Tug: The Truth Revealed
- YouTube Video: All About Trick Training and Wag Nation (Teach Crawl)
- Podcast Episode 175: Food Luring VS Shaping In Dog Training: How Science Changed How I Teach Dogs
- Podcast Episode 111: How An Anchor Dog Can Help Overcome Your Dog’s Anxiety Or Reactivity
- Podcast Episode 157: Dog Body Language: Understanding Canine Communication Signals And Emotions
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Podcast Episode 58: How to Create Kid Friendly Dogs and Dog Friendly Kids
- Podcast Episode 68: 3 Easy Tricks Every Dog Should Know
- YouTube Video: Normalizing Imperfection in Dog Training
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube