Imagine having a way to trigger your dog to relax. Consider the benefits and applications in everyday life like vet visits, the groomers or travel. It’s not hypnosis. It’s a protocol involving conditioning, capturing and shaping your dog’s behavior to create calm in key moments. The ability to cue relaxation is valuable for ALL dogs, not just those who are hyper or anxious. In fact, we all have personal relaxation protocols, and in this episode, I’m sharing what I frequently use for myself and my dogs to settle down.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why every dog should have a protocol for relaxation regardless of temperament.
- About common triggers for relaxation and ones I use for my dogs.
- How to help anxious or over aroused dogs with intentional calming mannerisms.
- My breathing technique for triggering the parasympathetic nervous system to counter stress.
- How to induce a calm state for dogs step-by-step.
- Why we play ItsYerChoice to help dogs relax.
- How to positively condition your dog’s relaxation trigger.
- My capturing technique and tips when dogs are in their “chill zones”.
- When to begin shaping and adding a calm release word.
- How to assess your dog’s emotional state with TEMP and an app.
- About using a remote feeder to add duration to the chill zone.
Learn how to play ItsYerChoice:
- Podcast Episode 86: How to Train Unmotivated or Overexcited Dogs
- Podcast Episode 107: Pedicure Please: 3 Steps To Dog Nail Trimming Or Grooming Success At Home!
- *Dirty Dog Doormats
- Podcast Episode 136: Help Your Excited Dog Calm Down And Stop Barking, Lunging, Spinning, Nipping
- Podcast Episode 189: All The Things That Influence Your Dog’s Behavior And What Behavior Tells You
- Podcast Episode 171: Dog Training With Layered Shaping: Why Classical Conditioning Must Come First
- Podcast Episode 151: How Location Specific Reinforcement Markers Will Improve Your Dog Training!
- Podcast Episode 180: Taking Your Puppy To A Café Or Restaurant: Socialization Success
- Podcast Episode 4: T.E.M.P. (Tail, Eyes/Ears, Mouth, Posture)
- Cardalis App - iOS
- Cardalis App - Android
- *PetSafe Treat and Train Remote Reward Dog Trainer
- *PETGEEK IQ Training Treat Dispenser
- Podcast Episode 190: Using Daily Quickies To Fast Track Your Dog Training And Grow Your Dog's Skills
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!