In episodes 203 and 204, I shared a two-part deep dive on the metabolic and performance struggles overcome by This!, my 2.5-year-old Border Collie. After a road to recovery with dotted with setbacks, I entered This! in the World Team Tryouts for dog agility. In this episode, I’m sharing my plan, my goal, how I achieved it, and how it could impact your dog training, even if you don’t do dog sports.
In the episode you'll hear:
- My strategy to maximize joy for dog sport competitions, matches, and training classes.
- Why I consciously chose a lighthearted attitude and commissioned a custom leash that sparks joy.
- My planning so that This!'s first agility competition could be a success for her.
- A review of our agility and jumpers runs at the big event.
- My 5-step strategy for injecting joy into any activity or experience with your dog.
- Step 1: Create a goal of maximizing joy.
- Step 2: Know the rules around how you're able to reinforce the dog during the event or activity.
- How we used a 'chase-tug-restrain' game for joy for This! at the event.
- Step 3: Create a strategic plan around where and when you'll provide high value reinforcement.
- Step 4: Rehearse the plan.
- Step 5: Execute the plan with joy, have fun and celebrate!
- How to use FEO / NFC opportunities to create joy for dogs.
- How the energy of the crowd supporting me and This! moved me deeply.
- Why allowing yourself grace is vital because everyone, including me, was a beginner once.
- That joy results from clarity and how that boosts your dog's confidence.
- Podcast Episode 203: Reactive, Unmotivated and Fearful: Finding Resiliency For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 1
- Podcast Episode 204: Dog Behavior And Diet: Recovery For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 2
- 4MyMerles Creations (Tug Toys, Leashes and More)
- Podcast Episode 172: How To Teach Your Dog Anything With My Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 205: The Hidden World Of Reinforcement For Dogs And Why You Need To Know
- YouTube Video: Dog Training Reinforcement Process: How, Where and When Are You Rewarding Your Dog?
- YouTube Playlist: Mastery of Positive Reinforcement Based Dog Training
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
Thank you for sharing the challenges with This! It is so encouraging as I face my dog’s training challenges.
Beautiful – thank you so much for all that you share 🙂 Xxxx
Oh I loved watching this (and This!). Susan, thank you so much for sharing. Your knowledge and experience is invaluable. This will definitely help me and my dog. I love your attitude! Thank you ❤️
Genius strategy on how to use FEO. Love your creativity, problem solving techniques and your assistance from your friends! Thanks for sharing! Such a gem for our education!
Im in tears! Such a wonderful beautiful story! A must watch over and over!!!!!!