If you have a dog, there will come a time when your dog will say to you “Don’t Wanna, Don’t Hafta”. That is the moment when you ask your dog to do something, and he ignores you. The question is, what do you do when this happens? I’m sharing what I do when my dog says “no” and the questions we need to ask ourselves. In the resources below, I’m referencing a number of previous podcast episodes that I strongly encourage you to check out with the context of what I say here in mind.
In the episode you'll hear:
- Why it’s important to value compassion more than ambition.
- Your right to have expectations about how your dog behaves.
- About your dog’s competing values.
- Why considering your dog’s stage of learning is vital.
- The importance of asking yourself if your dog is saying no due to fear.
- What I noticed with my puppy This! in class recently with a golf cart.
- My 5 keys for working through “Don’t Wanna, Don’t Hafta”.
- How to rehearse your dog doing what you ask, when you ask, with fun games.
- What it means to be the keeper of the joy.
- About hard-wired behaviours and “Don’t Wanna, Don’t Hafta”
- Podcast Episode 27: Do Dogs Need Rules?
- Podcast Episode 46: Is Your Dog Trying to Dominate You and What You Can Do About It
- Podcast Episode 44: Using Coincidences and Positive Associations in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 42: Behavior Chains: Are You Teaching Your Dog to be Bad to be Good?
- Game: Learn How to Play ItsYerChoice (IYC)
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for the Dog who Chases Chipmunks, Bicycles, and the Neighbor’s Cat
- Blog Post: How to Use the Distraction Intensity Index to Help Your Dog