Does balanced dog training really exist? Being a balanced trainer is part of my background in dog training. In many discussions about dog training methods, you will frequently hear about the four quadrants, so I’m going over what those quadrants are and how our experiences can tip the balance. We’re covering the science of operant conditioning and how dogs actively learn.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How I started to learn about dog training from a book called “How to Raise and Train a Chow Chow”.
- About the four quadrants and the meaning of +R, +P, -P and -R.
- An explanation of the terms Positive Reinforcement, Positive Punishment, Negative Punishment and Negative Reinforcement.
- The importance of understanding that punishment suppresses behavior.
- How the key with positive reinforcement is that only the dog knows what is reinforcing.
- Examples of using the four quadrants in dog training, and how we really want to optimize positive reinforcement.
- The reason why no dog trainer is truly balanced.
- The decision I made in 1993 only to use positive reinforcement and what I learned.
- How our core values, education, curiosity, mentorship, and peer group impact our dog training.
- About what pressure and frustration can do to our dog training decisions.
- The most valuable lesson I learned from Feature when she was a puppy, and when I realized I’d come the full circle in my dog training.
- Podcast Episode 94: How the Best Professional Dog Trainers Use Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 88: Barrier Frustration: Help for Fence Fighting, Leash Reactivity and Window Guarding
- Podcast Episode 34: Time Outs for Dogs: Does Your Dog Need One?
- YouTube Video: Susan Garrett Riffs on Transfer of Value in Dog Training (and water loving Labradors)
- Podcast Episode 40: Using A Head Halter On A Dog, Why My Approach Is So Different
- Podcast Episode 16: The Thing Before Your Dog’s Thing
- YouTube Playlist: Crate Games and Crate Training for Puppies and Dogs with Susan Garrett
- Book: Shaping Success by Susan Garrett
- TikTok presentation with Sarah Richter, CDBC on the 4 Quadrants
- Podcast Episode 11: The Power of Permission in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 102: Transitioning Your Dog Training: From All That Is Wrong To That Which Is Right
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube