Do you know how your dog or puppy self-regulates or dysregulates? Or how your dog self-soothes? Most dog owners don’t, and it could be the root of behavioral challenges around your home. Dogs show dysregulation or self-regulation much like humans. Your dog’s responses aren’t the same as choosing right from wrong but a reflection of emotional regulation. Today I’m breaking down what healthy self-regulation looks like and how to recognize and help your dog’s coping mechanisms for a happier, healthier co-existence.
In the episode you'll hear:
- What you need to know before a visiting dog arrives in your home.
- How to recognize self-regulation and dysregulation in dogs.
- The definition of canine self-regulation.
- That dogs don’t choose right from wrong.
- What dysregulation looks like in dogs.
- That resilience to stress is a byproduct of healthy self-regulation.
- That puppies or rescue dogs cannot self-regulate instantly.
- The possible signs of dysregulation puppies and dogs display.
- Factors that contribute to canine dysregulation.
- About my own puppy’s and rescue’s dysregulation.
- How environment impacts self-regulation.
- About normalizing certain conditions to help dogs.
- What “destructive” dogs are really communicating.
- The ways puppies and dogs naturally self-regulate.
- About canine self-soothing behaviors and coping mechanisms.
- How co-regulation facilitates self-regulation for dogs.
- YouTube Playlist: The Emotional State of Dogs with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 64: Help! How Can I Tell My Dog He’s Wrong?
- Podcast Episode 78: How to Train a Rescue Dog with Behavior Problems
- Podcast Episode 48: Potty Train Your Puppy in a Week (Easy 3 Step Process)
- YouTube Playlist: Puppy Essentials with Susan Garrett Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 204: Dog Behavior And Diet: Recovery For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 2
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Podcast Episode 200: Solve Your Dog’s Separation Anxiety With FRIDA: Expanding Calm With Functional Relaxation
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube