Has there ever been a time when things didn’t go as planned in dog training or in life? Or, not only that, but the outcome was the opposite of what you intended? We’re going deep on how to handle these setbacks with resilience, grit, grace, and a solid Plan B in place. I’m also sharing my favorite books on boosting mental agility, reframing perceptions, letting go of outcomes, and turning obstacles in dog training to your advantage.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How to overcome adversity and use it to your advantage in dog training.
- About This!’s setbacks that made us both better.
- The importance of having a Plan B.
- How self-talk influences our Belief Loops.
- Examples of ego-driven dog trainers.
- That dog training is not art, it’s science.
- The importance of being mentally agile.
- How to reframe negative experiences into positive.
- About Decaff and highlighting a dog’s strengths.
- About detaching from outcomes.
- Why trophies are never my goal.
- The importance of celebrations.
- My 11 growth mindset book recommendations.
- The 5 keys to Pivots, Plan A’s and Plan B’s in dog training.
- The top 3 “big picture” goals for happy dogs.
- Why I don’t give extra energy to negative experiences.
Susan’s Recommended Reading:
*Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
*The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor
*The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
*The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
*Atomic Habits by James Clear
*The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
*Man’s Search For Meaning by Victor E Frankl
*The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
*Choose Wonder Over Worry by Amber Rae
*Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment by George Leonard
*Unbeatable Mind: Forge Resiliency and Mental Toughness to Succeed at an Elite Level by Mark Divine
- Podcast Episode 203: Reactive, Unmotivated and Fearful: Finding Resiliency For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 1
- Podcast Episode 204: Dog Behavior And Diet: Recovery For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 2
- Podcast Episode 117: What’s More Important Than Your Dog Training Sessions?
- Podcast Episode 195: Making Your Mind Your Most Powerful Dog Training Tool
- Podcast Episode 224: Unleashing Fluency In Dog Training: Cracking The Canine Communication Code
- YouTube Playlist: Susan Garrett's Dog Training Philosophy and Training Processes
- YouTube Playlist: Fearful Dogs Help with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Reactive or Aggressive Dogs: Key Insights with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 147: Teach Your Dog To Listen Off Leash And Far Away
- YouTube Video: Catch Your Runaway Dog! Stop Chasing And Do This In An Emergency
- Podcast Episode 41: Get a Behaved Dog by Celebrating Milestones!
- Podcast Episode 58: How to Create Kid Friendly Dogs and Dog Friendly Kids
- YouTube Video: Calm Your Reactive Or Anxious Dog And Reduce Your Stress About Lunging, Barking, Growling
- Podcast Episode 114: Dog Agility Training: 3 Big Mistakes All Dog Owners Should Avoid
- YouTube Playlist: Exercising Your Dog's Body and Mind: Tips and Games with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 150: Adding Mindset To Your Dog Training Tools: Who Do You Become?
- Podcast Episode 218: Puppy Development Stages And Your Dog’s Behavior
- Podcast Episode 78: How to Train a Rescue Dog with Behavior Problems
- Podcast Episode 139: Remove Confusion And Build Your Dog’s Confidence With One Simple Dog Training Habit
- Podcast Episode 186: 2 Types Of Connection With Dogs: Dog Agility And Daily Life Case Studies
- Podcast Episode 198: What Does “Positive Is Not Permissive” Really Mean In Dog Training?
- Podcast Episode 71: Pro Dog Trainer’s Secret to Help Your Naughty Dog
- YouTube Playlist: The Heart / Mind Connection Side of Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Puppy Essentials with Susan Garrett Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 227: My Foolproof Strategy To Overcoming Dog Training Challenges
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.