Everyone with a dog, including professional trainers like me, encounters dog behavior problems. It might be a dog's non-existent recall, chasing things, counter surfing, being out of control, not paying attention, or, if you do sports, not listening to you in the ring. Or it could be a dog's naughty habits around home persisting. Help is at hand, and I'm sharing my strategy for success no matter what the dog training challenge.
In the episode you'll hear:
- How to ensure you overcome dog training challenges for good.
- My approach to working through a dog’s triggers with curiosity.
- What to do when naughty behaviors reappear.
- About knowing where the reinforcement is for unwanted behaviors.
- That some behaviors are simply quirks of the dog’s personality.
- The unconscious and overt crutches we use to manage our dogs.
- That tracking your training will improve your dog’s behavior.
- What to journal about the behavior you’re fixing.
- Why we don't want to avoid our dog's triggers.
- How to handle toxic emotions about your dog’s actions.
- About Momentum’s agility see-saw obsession and starting my fix.
- Why I'm grateful for the challenges that dogs present.
- How I handled an unsolicited opinion about my age and my dog at an agility trial.
- That life is better when you see amazing things in your dog.
Write to us at [email protected] for another dog training plan.
- Podcast Episode 33: How Do I Stop My Dog Counter Surfing?!
- Podcast Episode 215: What Your Destructive, Lunging, Nipping Or Hyper Dog Or Puppy Is Trying To Teach You
- Podcast Episode 104: Naughty Dog Behaviors And How To Deal With Them
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Podcast Episode 224: Unleashing Fluency In Dog Training: Cracking The Canine Communication Code
- Podcast Episode 34: Time Outs for Dogs: Does Your Dog Need One?
- Podcast Episode 186: 2 Types Of Connection With Dogs: Dog Agility And Daily Life Case Studies
- Podcast Episode 194: The Invisible Reason Your Dog Is Ignoring You
- Podcast Episode 131: How Would Susan Garrett Plan Your Dog Training Sessions?
- Podcast Episode 150: Adding Mindset To Your Dog Training Tools: Who Do You Become?
- Podcast Episode 71: Pro Dog Trainer’s Secret to Help Your Naughty Dog
- Blog Post: The Top 10 Reasons Agility Dogs Drop Bars
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for Dogs who Chase Chipmunks, Bicycles, and Neighbor’s Cats (Distraction Intensity Index) #24
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube