Recently, a professional dog trainer told me her favorite Shaped by Dog episode is 16, where I explain the simple concept of “antecedent arrangements” as one of the most effective, animal behavior science solutions to ANY dog training problem. Although it’s an all-time favorite of my students and dog training professionals, it’s a hidden gem to the general public. So, I’m revisiting the topic of how to increase brilliant dog behavior – while decreasing undesired ones – with one easy focus shift. As my mentor, Bob Bailey, says, “When dog training is right, it’s easy.” Enjoy this game changer!
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How to increase desired dog behaviors while reducing unwanted ones.
- The ABC’s of learned behaviors in the animal kingdom.
- What some dog owners and trainers focus on to fix behaviors.
- Why “get a bigger meatball” and punishment don’t work in dog training.
- That knowing “the thing before the thing” is your dog training salvation.
- What “antecedent arrangements” are in triggering behavior.
- The stimuli that make a behavior desirable for dogs.
- Why lure training makes dog behavior a negotiation rather than a desire.
- What sensory stimuli get attached to behavior triggers.
- The importance of training in different environments at different times.
- Why varying your dog’s daily routine is ideal.
- How past experiences influence a dog’s emotional state.
- About your dog’s motivations and distractions.
- An example of how to stop counter surfing.
- How “ItsYerChoice” teaches dogs to choose the right behavior.
- About incompatible behaviors.
- What “Hot Zones” are and how they help your dog choose wisely.
- When dog training is right, it’s easy.
Learn How To Play ItsYerChoice :
Get Crate Games Online :
- Podcast Episode 37: Dog Training as a Career
- Podcast Episode 16: The Thing Before Your Dog’s Thing
- Podcast Episode 68: 3 Easy Tricks Every Dog Should Know
- Podcast Episode 33: How Do I Stop My Dog Counter Surfing?!
- Podcast Episode 202: Getting A Happy Well Behaved Dog With The ABCs Of Training
- Podcast Episode 205: The Hidden World Of Reinforcement For Dogs And Why You Need To Know
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 121: How To Stop Dogs Jumping Up On People
- YouTube Short: 19 Week Old Prophet’s Selfie Trick
- Podcast Episode 48: Potty Train Your Puppy in a Week (Easy 3 Step Process)
- YouTube Playlist: The Emotional State of Dogs with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 144: Teach Your Dog To Listen No Matter What… Even If You Think They Are Stubborn
- Blog Post: Built In Dog Crates For Home Decor
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube