Sometimes people think training dogs with positive reinforcement requires a huge time investment. It’s a myth. My students play quick training games to build skills fast with layers. But don’t take it from me. Meet Natalia Nizker, a full-time elementary school teacher and non-profit rescue volunteer with three young boys, two young dogs (a German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois), and one husband. Natalia is also a trick dog trainer in her spare time!
Natalia has tips on fitting dog training time into a busy life and how understanding layered learning leads to well- behaved dogs. Enjoy this extract from our livestream celebrating 200 episodes of Shaped by Dog.
In the episode you'll hear:
- That training with positive reinforcement can fit into daily life.
- How dog training games are perfect for busy lives and happy dogs.
- Hacks for fitting dog training into full schedules.
- How training with layered shaping becomes part of daily life.
- About introducing a new puppy with household harmony in mind.
- How trick training can boost a dog’s confidence and deepen your bond.
- Why all dog training is essentially trick training.
- How to choose games to play with your dog in stressful environments.
Catch the 200 Episodes Celebration Replay and After Party Opportunities
- Podcast Episode 209: What Professional Dog Trainers Want Everyone To Know: Talking Dogs With Kamal Fernandez
- Podcast Episode 190: Using Daily Quickies To Fast Track Your Dog Training And Grow Your Dog’s Skills
- Podcast Episode 72: Preventing Dog Aggression: Introducing Dogs or Puppies with Project Togetherness
- Podcast Episode 153: Dog Muzzles: Everything You Need To Know And How To Muzzle Train Dogs
- Podcast Episode 171: Dog Training With Layered Shaping: Why Classical Conditioning Must Come First
- Podcast Episode 186: 2 Types Of Connection With Dogs: Dog Agility And Daily Life Case Studies
- Podcast Episode 79: Reduce Anxiety and Grow Your Dog’s Confidence with These Pro Dog Training Tips
- YouTube Playlist: Susan Garrett's Dog Training Philosophy and Training Processes
- Podcast Episode 172: How To Teach Your Dog Anything With My Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 176: Why Your Dog’s Emotions Are A Critical Element Of Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for Dogs who Chase Chipmunks, Bicycles, and Neighbor’s Cats (Distraction Intensity Index)
- Podcast Episode 20: Bridging the Gap Between Blame and Kindness in Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 8: Get Your Dog in the Belief Loop of Awesome
- Podcast Episode 182: The Game Within The Game: How To Multiply Your Dog’s Reinforcements
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube