All the details on how to minimize excessive and annoying dog barking with seven fun and fast dog training games! Remember that canine vocalizing can be an expression of emotion, so the solution to nuisance barking begins with a dog’s physical and emotional needs being met.There are also times we DON’T want our dogs to stop barking and times we unconsciously reinforce unwanted vocalizing. Understanding canine vocal communication is the path to a more harmonious relationship with dogs!
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Results of nuisance barking poll.
- That dogs bark to express emotions.
- That a lot of unwanted barking gets reinforced by us.
- Why dog barking can be good at times.
- 7 training games to minimize barking.
- About The Dog Relaxation Protocol.
- That cued barking also needs a “stop” cue.
- That it only took 21 days to teach my 4-month-old puppy barking manners.
- Reasons dogs bark excessively.
- Why we shouldn’t blame the breed for the barking.
- How to condition dogs to entertain themselves with enrichment.
- That reinforcement builds behavior.
- Examples of how we unconsciously reinforce dog behavior.
- That you shouldn’t cave to “demand barking.”
- About barking to initiate play.
- That vocalizing you allow your dog to do must be universal.
- About the FRIDA protocol for anxiety barking.
- How to decrease alarm barking with habituation to stimuli.
- When dogs bark from frustration.
- How the environment reinforces barking.
- Tips for when dogs bark at feeding time.
- Why to be predictably unpredictable with dog schedules.
Get Crate Games Online:
Learn To Play ItsYerChoice:
- Podcast Episode 238: Barking Dogs! Understanding Canine Vocalization To Prevent Nuisance Barking
- Podcast Episode 205: The Hidden World Of Reinforcement For Dogs And Why You Need To Know
- Podcast Episode 186: 2 Types Of Connection With Dogs: Dog Agility And Daily Life Case Studies
- YouTube Playlist: Dog Training Games with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 191: Get Your Dog To Calm Down With This Common Sense Protocol For Relaxation
- Podcast Episode 112: Stressed Dog? How Trigger Stacking Might Be Putting Your Dog Over Threshold
- Podcast Episode 14: Creating Intentional Multi-Dog Household Harmony
- Podcast Episode 200: Solve Your Dog’s Separation Anxiety With FRIDA: Expanding Calm With Functional Relaxation
- Podcast Episode 207: Rescue Dog Behavior: Training Rehomed Dogs Chat With Nadine Hehli and Simone Fasel
- Podcast Episode 165: Why Do Dogs Bark In Cars And How To Stop It
- Podcast Episode 188: Why You Should Change Your Strategy Rather Than Your Criteria When Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 189: All The Things That Influence Your Dog’s Behavior And What Behavior Tells You
- Podcast Episode 42: Behavior Chains: Are You Teaching Your Dog to be Bad to be Good?
- Podcast Episode 225: Keep The Food Bowl! Why Dogs Don’t Need 100% Hand Feeding
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube