Has your dog’s barking ever had you consider using an anti-bark collar? I did in the Nineties with my dog, Buzz, and I'm letting you know the results right up front. Lessons were learned and I developed an action plan to stop annoying barking that’s proven to work, so I’m sharing what to do step-by-step. Plus, if you want your dog to settle down when greeting houseguests, don’t miss the protocol for using a remote feeder to create calm at home.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- My experience using a spray bark collar in the 90’s.
- Steps to replace a barking habit.
- Why a few 90 second training “quickies” are more powerful than one weekly long session.
- It helps to be predictably unpredictable with your dog’s schedule.
- Great, easy ideas for dog enrichment.
- The importance of noting your dog’s barking triggers and reinforcements.
- To temporarily alter the environment where your dog barks most.
- The six games to play during “Daily Quickie” training.
- How to counter condition barking triggers.
- How to decrease reactivity to doorbells and door knocks.
- How to use a remote feeder to reinforce Hot Zone for polite door greetings.
- Why to train this with one dog at a time.
- How to fade the remote feeder.
Get Crate Games Online:
Learn To Play ItsYerChoice:
- Podcast Episode 238: Barking Dogs! Understanding Canine Vocalization To Prevent Nuisance Barking
- *Pet Geek Remote Feeder
- Podcast Episode 224: Unleashing Fluency In Dog Training: Cracking The Canine Communication Code
- Podcast Episode 239: Barking Dogs! How To Help Your Dog Be Quiet And Stop Barking
- Podcast Episode 176: Why Your Dog’s Emotions Are A Critical Element Of Dog Training
- YouTube Video: 15 Ways To Exercise Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 190: Using Daily Quickies To Fast Track Your Dog Training And Grow Your Dog’s Skills
- YouTube Playlist: Dog Training Games With Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Target Training for Dogs with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 74: Yes, Susan Garrett’s Dogs Sniff On Walks
- Nina Ottosson Food Puzzles
- DIY Puppy Bombs
- *Toppl Dog Toy
- Podcast Episode 71: Pro Dog Trainer’s Secret to Help Your Naughty Dog
- Podcast Episode 16: The Thing Before Your Dog’s Thing
- Podcast Episode 205: The Hidden World Of Reinforcement For Dogs And Why You Need To Know
- YouTube Playlist: Planning Your Dog Training With Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 191: Get Your Dog To Calm Down With This Common Sense Protocol For Relaxation
- DogsThat YouTube Channel Playlists
- YouTube Playlist: Mastery of Positive Reinforcement Based Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 21: The 5 Critical Dog Training Layers for Confidence with Anything
- Podcast Episode 59: Why Your Treats Aren’t Working for Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 181: Training Multiple Dogs To Wait Turns And Relax
- Podcast Episode 66: Resource Guarding: Dog vs Dog Aggression
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!