Does your dog get hyper and lose focus the closer they get to something really exciting? You are not alone, and I have a training plan to help you create calm and focus for over-the-top dogs. I’m covering why dogs can get out of control near things they love and what to do about it when you want to be a positive reinforcement-based dog trainer. Plus, you’ll get the steps to play the Threshold Game with a case study of a very excited young dog who visits me with my friend.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why we can’t rely on cheese alone.
- The difference between transactional and relational dog training.
- Why dogs get out of control as they get nearer to exciting things.
- A review of the ABC to solve dog training problems: antecedent, behavior, consequence.
- The example of puppy Prophet at the store for creating positive experiences for dogs.
- How good triggers and games help dogs change their emotional state.
- The Threshold Game training plan to calm dogs down so they focus on you.
- About mixing up reinforcement and progressing the Threshold Game.
- DogsThat YouTube Channel
- Podcast Episode 99: When Reinforcement Based Dog Training Doesn’t Work
- Podcast Episode 215: What Your Destructive, Lunging, Nipping Or Hyper Dog Or Puppy Is Trying To Teach You
- YouTube Playlist: Loose Leash Walking with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 245: Make Dog Training Easy! Quick Guide To Antecedent Arrangements
- Podcast Episode 16: The Thing Before Your Dog’s Thing
- Podcast Episode 94: How the Best Professional Dog Trainers Use Reinforcement
- Podcast Episode 164: The Danger Of Car Travel For Dogs: Evaluating Your Risk
- Podcast Episode 165: Why Do Dogs Bark In Cars And How To Stop It
- YouTube Playlist: How to Socialize a Puppy with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 157: Dog Body Language: Understanding Canine Communication Signals And Emotions
- Podcast Episode 217: Understanding Emotional Regulation In Dogs To Create Calm
- Podcast Episode 109: Project Calm Dog: Prevent Over Enthusiastic Greetings
- YouTube Video: Understanding Your Dog's Reinforcement Zone (RZ) with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 73: Why Your Dog Is Still Pulling on Leash And How To Fix It
- Podcast Episode 88: Barrier Frustration: Help for Fence Fighting, Leash Reactivity and Window Guarding
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube